Geoprocessing models from 10.1 not visible in 10.3

11-28-2015 03:54 PM
JohnWilson8
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I built a custom toolbox with multiple geoprocessing tools/models in ArcGIS 10.1. Recently I had to upgrade to ArcGIS 10.3, and now my models are invisible. I can see, move and copy the toolbox in Windows (registering the correct 28mb size), and I can see the actual named toolbox in both ArcMap and ArcCatalog. But I cannot expand the toolbox anywhere to see the models, add it to ArcMap's toolbox framework, or access it in any other way (save as something else etc) in the ArcGIS framework.

HELP!!! I really need to see my models.

Yes I have backups of the file. No I do not have access to ArcGIS 10.1.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am assuming you went through the 10.3.1 help on ModelBuilder What is ModelBuilder?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

And you followed the recommendations in the install guide Existing ArcGIS for Desktop users—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Worst case scenario, is you can uninstall it...but you said you don't have 10.1 anymore?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Is this an addin, or just a .tbx file?  Any chance you can attach it so "we" can take a look?

If it's an addin, you might need to update the config.xml that creates it. You can unzip an .addin file by changing .addin to .zip (I would do it to a copy).

Besides changing the version there, I've had scripts disappear (between 10.2 and 10.3) that was driving me nuts, and it was due to a minor format issue.....what I can't think of off hand, but if this could be you issue, I'll look into it more.

edit: I remember what the issue was for me, and it was in my actual python scripts, so might not help you at all, but doesn't hurt to mention it here.  I document all my scripts in a comment block at the beginning on my .py scripts.  Some of my older scripts used """ ... """    (Three quotes).  I had to change this to ''' ... '''  (three apostrophes) for them to show in both versions.  Just FYI.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rebecca.... That last paragraph should be reported as a bug since python fully supports triple-single and triple-double quotes.  The latter is often preferred  '" vs "' vs ''' vs """ .... the first 3 can get confused with some fonts  [Answers: (single, double), (double,single), (single,single,single), (double,double,double)]

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Dan.  If I get a chance this week, I'll check in with tech support....since I figured out the workaround, I just figured it was user error.....errr, me.

0 Kudos
JohnWilson8
New Contributor II

Dear Rebecca,

Its just a .tbx file. I'm pretty sure its a formatting issue I cant solve. I've uploaded the tbx file (as a 2mb zip) onto the original post.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I downloaded you zip, unzipped it and took a look at it in ArcCatalog 10.0, 10.2, and 10.3….all showed up as blank and I couldn’t even get it to show me any properties, so even though the .tbx gives it the toolbox icon in ArcCatalog, it isn’t seeing it as one. Maybe the .tbx is corrupted (or the one I downloaded from your post anyway).

I  tried the “save as” option into previous versions, including 10.0 to 9.x, and 10.3 to 10.1/2.  No error, but it also didn’t do anything, which again points to ArcCatalog not being able to read it at all.

I also tested creating a new toolbox in 10.0 with a single (very simple) model, no parameters, just to see what I could see.  I could see that in 10.0, 10.2 and 10.3.

So, either what you attached was not the correct file, or you file is not what you think it is, or it is corrupt.  I did find a very old thread Can a corrupt toolbox be repaired?  that talks about issues if the toolbox was renamed.  Any chance you renamed the toolbox??  If that doesn’t help, it may be worth it to make a call into tech support (if you are on maintenance) since they may have a few other tricks.

FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III

I just took a look at the toolbox and it is indeed showing signs of being corrupt. Could you upload a backup of this file that worked at 10.1? I can load it on a 10.1 machine on my end just in case there is some issue with 10.3.1 and this particular instance of your model.

Also, do you remember exactly what was done when you upgraded your system? Did you only uninstall and install the newer version of ArcGIS Desktop and the models didn't show up? Did you apply any Microsoft updates or run any security scans? etc. I know that I've heard of users that have run into this issue, but I've never been able to replicate it personally.

JohnWilson8
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Thanks for all your efforts.

The first draft of the toolbox was built in Arc 9.3 (university-owned computer). Students have little control on when university-owned computers are upgraded; one day I walked into the lab to continue where I left off to find Arc 10.1 on the computers and my toolbox 'corrupted'. I cant remember what exactly I did to recover the toolbox but at the time my wife's work computer still had Arc 9.3, and I managed to somehow retrieve/convert/save the backed-up toolbox (since, as seems to be the case now, the working tbx was 'corrupted').

It seems that the issue is repeating itself here, the differences being different ArcGIS versions, and this time I do not have access to the previous version of Arc (I bought a home version of Arc 10.3 to enable me to publish my dissertation). So, there was no 'upgrade' per se, but rather a new installation. The last time I touched this toolbox it still worked, using the same name and the same location on my external as now).

My other toolboxes seem to not have these upgrade issues - just this one, now for a second time. Once it touches Arc10.3 it's empty. All toolboxes were made the same, in Catalog, before I started building them, so I don't anticipate that my methodology is the issue. If I recall correctly, all the tools in the models were also standard. Maybe there's a tool in there somewhere that's corrupt, messing up the entire toolbox with upgrades? (strange). It will be nice to know so I (other users) dont make the same mistake!

I'm currently out of town, without my backups. But I anticipate to be back home end of the week, in which case I'll attach the backup here somewhere.

Thanks again for all your help,

Johnny

0 Kudos
JohnWilson8
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I finally managed to get hold of my backup, and uploaded the backup toolbox (AtoolsBkup.zip) to the original post.

Looking forward to hearing what the issue is (I hope)!

Johnny

0 Kudos