Collector App - Wifi or Data Plan?

12-09-2015 06:09 AM
Labels (1)
JeffreyWarren
New Contributor III

Hello all,

We are looking to get a couple of tablets so we can do data collection/editing out in the field.  We are debating whether to purchase tablets that are wifi only vs tablets that have both.  What are the pro/cons of each?  Any one have better experiences with either/or?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Jeffery,

If you have the capability to do offline editing or your editing will be in an area where you will not have service, Wifi only would work. I have a iPad that has service and it is nice to have since I can pull new data or update the office with new developments without connecting to wifi.

What data collecting are you thinking?

Example:

If you are collecting data such as trees then I would not see a need for service since the trees will not change rapidly but if you are collecting about a disaster, such as a flood, situations change quickly and being to add data or add new layers would be important.

JeffreyWarren
New Contributor III

For now, it will be used by our waste water folks.  They are going to go out and collect inverts, etc. on the manholes.  Everything will be done in the city and we have a pretty good signal through out.  We are just trying to determine if paying the monthly fee for data is worth it or not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
cedwards8511
New Contributor III

There is a third option, one that we are considering.

We already have a few cellular mobile wifi units and are looking into installing more robust units in a few of our work rigs.  As long as you are working within range of the rig, then it's okay.

0 Kudos