Why is access denied on filebased geodatabase?

11-21-2010 11:27 PM
xxxxxx1
New Contributor
Hello,

I do have a newbie question. I want to create a new feature class in an existing filebased geodatabase which I have connected in ArcCatalog. The filebased geodatabase is located in a server folder, which I can access via network folder share.

On creating the new feature class in the filebased geodatabase via ArcCatalog I get this error message:

"Failed to create feature class. Access denied. Access denied [GDB_SystemCatalog]"

So I wonder why I cannot write into that .gdb because:

- I do have file system write access on the .gdb's folder (on the whole network share in fact)
- I have started ArcCatalog with ArcEditor licence

What else could make me deny the write access to the file based geodatabase?

Thank you for any hint!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
HelenYang
New Contributor II
Do you have virus check software installed in your env? Certain virus check software does prevent you from creating or updating files from the network shared directory.
0 Kudos
KellyWagner
New Contributor
When opening ArcCatalog or ArcMap, use the Start menu to find the product, then right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator". This opens the application in full administrative mode. Now you should have full permissions to create data or move data around. Unfortunately, being in the admin group does not always mean that software is run with full access rights, so you also have to run it as an administrator to cover all your bases.

MilouGeven
New Contributor
I have the exact same problem, I tried turning off my antivirus software, opening as administrator and I even changed my DCOM settings (to the best of my ability), nothing helped. Could it be because I am running a trial version?

Any other suggestions are very welcome!
0 Kudos
LauraMendenhall1
New Contributor
Hi, I was able to fix my "access denied" problem by using a different version of Arc (10.0, the version I created the geodatabase in). I was seeing "access denied" when trying to use the data on a computer with Arc 10.1. Simple but maybe it will work for you!
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
lauramendenhall6:

Was the operating system where you had Arc 10.1 installed different from the operating system where you had Arc 10.0 installed?

I have found that a Windows Server 2008 machine has higher security settings where, even though I am a local admin on the machine, I still need to explicitly tell the machine that I want to run software As Administrator in order for the software to work properly.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
A few things you may wish to try:

- Right click on the folder containing the GDB, Go to properties > Security, Click add and grant read/write access to "everyone"
- Right-click on the .gdb folder in Windows Explorer, go to Properties and uncheck the box next to 'Read-Only'.

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
LauraMendenhall1
New Contributor
lauramendenhall6:

Was the operating system where you had Arc 10.1 installed different from the operating system where you had Arc 10.0 installed?

I have found that a Windows Server 2008 machine has higher security settings where, even though I am a local admin on the machine, I still need to explicitly tell the machine that I want to run software As Administrator in order for the software to work properly.

I'll have to check, but perhaps you are correct and the different versions of Arc wasn't the real problem. Good to know. Thanks!
0 Kudos
ShelbyKipp
New Contributor
I was having this problem this week and after trouble shooting, this is what worked:

Open ArcCatalog --> navigate to the folder the file geodatabase is located, right click --> properties --> under security tab there is a list of users, select the one(s) which you use, below it will tell you what permissions that user has. If your user doesn't have a check box that indicates they are allow to do everything, this may be your problem --> edit, (select user and check all 'allow' boxes), ok, ok, close and reopen.

Running as administrator worked as well but it only worked in that mode, I wanted to be able to edit the geodatabase when I was in a map.
RachelS_
New Contributor III

bumped into this on 10.2 and Shelby's solution fixed the issue.

0 Kudos