how to duplicate data driven layer so I can see all polys alongside DD polys

Jump to solution
01-07-2016 09:40 AM
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

hi all, thanks for reading...

new to this data driven pages business; if I use the wrong terminology etc just read b/t the lines as best you can...

I have set up DD pages in arcgis 10 and had success, cycling through 34 polygon extents from a 5401 polygon layer after joining a 34 row excel file to it.  that's good.  but, now I also want to show all 5401 polys from the original file underneath the 34 that have been data driven (in a different symbology).  when I copy the DD pages layer (the 5401 down to 34 courtesy of 34-row .xlsx) and detach the excel file from the join, sure enough I can get 5401 rows in that table, but, I can't see any of them on the map?  they are selectable and zoom-to-able (flash green but then gone).  I suspect that the DD pages being enabled is limiting me (maybe, not guaranteed), but, if I disable the DD pages in its toolbar, my original set of DD pages (the 34, which I want) is lost because both the original DD pages layer AND the duplicate I made to un-join have the same name - what can one do?

not sure I've explained that perfectly but I appreciate any input...thanks!

cj

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

thanks for replying XB....

it seems I had clipping turned on in my data frame properties, that was it!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you try to add the original polygon featureclass to the data frame and change the display name so it's different from the one used in the Data Driven Pages?

0 Kudos
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

thanks for replying XB....

it seems I had clipping turned on in my data frame properties, that was it!!

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting back. Indeed clipping will have that effect.

Would be good to mark your own reply as the correct answer. That case other users that have the same problem will find your solution easier.

ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

yes for sure, have done so, thanks again xb....

0 Kudos