data driven pages - how to label current poly differently from all other polys

Jump to solution
01-07-2016 10:43 AM
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

hi all and thanks for reading...

new to the DD pages.  I currently have it enabled on a layer with 5401 records, down to 34 because it is joined to an excel file with 34 rows.  it works well.  I'm stuck on the labels.  I have labels I like for the data driven records (34 of them), they are bigger and more prominent.  I do however also want the other 5401 (well I guess 5400; minus the current DD page poly) to be labelled, but differently, with less emphasis.  when I duplicate my DD layer and unjoin it from the .xlsx, I get my 5401 rows back, fine.  but when I label that layer, of course I also get the label for the current DD page - so the current poly on my DD pages has TWO labels - the big one from it's layer, AND the little label from the layer with all 5401 polys.  so, how can I remove the small label from the duplicate layer from the poly with current DD focus?

I hope I've explained that half decently - hadn't see DD pages until yesterday...

thanks,

chris j

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

See the examples below this should get your labels the way you want them

View solution in original post

8 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Create a copy of the DDP index layer and set up a page definition

Using Page Definition Queries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

thanks for replying wes....

ok I duplicated the DD layer, and a third label appeared (of course), but, when I went into the page defn query, I tried all combinations (ie match, don't match), it didn't remove the small label on my 5401 layer.  the 5401 poly layer is totally separate from the DD layer so I'm not sure how the page defn will be able to affect it, but of course I don't know much about DD pages....

thanks again,

cj

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

On your copy set your placement properties Conflict detection to high for label and feature weights

0 Kudos
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

hey thanks wes...

no that didn't do it, but with the explanation I've given it may be very tough to know what I've done.

maybe this will shed some light on it:  the DD layer has 34 rows (taken down from 5401 when joined to a 34 entry excel file).  the duplicate I made on your suggestion has 1 row, which I can cycle through the 34 with by clicking the DD toolbar fwd/back arrows. 

it's the 5401 labels I'm after, those that are not currently showing because the join to the 34-row .xlsx file excluded them.  I guess I only want the other 5400 labels, as 1 will be the layer on which there is emphasis.  perhaps the issue is that I don't want different labels for only the other 33 polys, I want it for all (5400) non-current-DD polys.  I hope that makes some sense.

if I turn on the labels for the 5401 polys (in a dup layer I made easily enough) - I get them all, but unfortunately also with the label for the DD poly which is current; so I wind up with 2 labels on a given poly; the big attention grabbing one for the current DD poly, and the mini label which I've got on all remainder.

thanks again for reading...

cj

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Not on the copy you made but on the other layer you are labeling with try setting the label weight to low this should remove that label as the feature weight of the copy should be higher than the other.

Hope that makes sense

0 Kudos
LukeSturtevant
Occasional Contributor III

Setting the definition query for layers other than your index layer would only be affected if they have an attribute field that is linked to your data drive pages 'page name field' index feature class.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

See the examples below this should get your labels the way you want them

ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III

ok ok ok ok ok!

that got it, thanks wes (and luke) for giving me a hand with this.  I thought perhaps the 5401 layer was unreachable from the DD page layer, since there was no join and they, for all I could tell, were just separate layers not talking to each other.  turns out with the page defn in the 5401 layer, I can still turn off any of the DD names that 'don't match'.

really glad I asked, thanks for sorting me out!

cj

0 Kudos