Help with SQL Server Connection between 10.2 and 10.3?

01-15-2016 02:44 PM
JasonEnglish
New Contributor

Good afternoon, all.

We're building an application for a client, and the MXD for the GIS portion includes live connections to a database using SQL Server 2008. The connection works for computers loaded with versions 10.1 and 10.2, but the person reviewing the MXD can't see the connected data in hi copy of 10.3. For instance, a set of sampling locations appears as it should in 10.1 and 10.2, but when opened in 10.3, the database layer appears in the Table of Contents, but no points appear on the map. There's no error message when the MXD loads, the points just don't show up.

I don't think his copy of 10.3 understands the database connection. I've seen references to running the SQL Server Native client, but I don't think he's run that yet on his machine (it is a new laptop). Would that be the best place to start?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, he does need the native client that comes along with the 10.3 install, but he would not be able to connect to SDE at all without the client installed as well.

JasonEnglish
New Contributor

He has SQL Server 2008 Native Client installed (as do I). I don't think it's an operating system issue, we're all running Windows 7 here.

The rest of us are likely to upgrade to v10.3 in the next few weeks, so solving this now will help us all later. Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

Jason,

I would upgrade to the Microsoft_SQL_Server_2012_SP1_Native_Client_32bit_135447 or 64bit based on your operating system.  All of my users with 10.3 have this client installed, and they are hitting a 10.2.2 SDE geodatabase.  This is the one offered on Esri's downloads.

0 Kudos
JasonEnglish
New Contributor

Is a direct link handy? The downloads page isn't working for me, and finding the right file through Microsoft is nigh impossible.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

I would give Esri support a call to see if they can send you exe.  Is your computer a 32 bit or a 64 bit system?  There is a download for each.

0 Kudos