ArcGIS Earth Performance Issues

01-26-2016 03:30 PM
GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

I searched through the other posts but didn't see anyone having performance issues with ArcGIS Earth.  Like many others, I am delving in to ArcGIS Earth due to the changes in Google Earth Pro.

I am having some serious performance issues after opening ArcGIS Earth.  The initial screen will load completely black, and then the program will freeze for up to 5 minutes.  Then a view of the earth will appear and freeze again with a view of the African continent. After another few minutes the earth view will rotate to the Atlantic Ocean.

From what I can tell, ArcGIS Earth is hogging damn near all of my available RAM. (See attached capture)  At the time I captured the Task Manager screen the only things that I had open were Outlook, IE, Windows Explorer and ArcGIS Earth.

After the initial install I was able to load a shapefile, but since then it is having the issues described above.  How can I improve the performance of ArcGIS Earth?

Dell OptiPlex 9010

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

8.0 GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

AMD Radeon HD 7570

Dual Dell U2414H Monitors

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

This was from this morning I received from an email and thought you might want to read from a blogger.

15 Minutes With ArcGIS Earth 1.0 | SoCalGIS.org

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have shared this to ArcGIS Earth

GavinMayeda

Thank you Dan,

I didn't see that as an option!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

no problem on posting with GIS, and the Share option is over to the right...but I think it only becomes available when you post...then share...can't remember... use the @symbol to bring up peoples names and/or places or spaces.

GavinMayeda

The problem was with the shapefile that I loaded.  This was a relatively small shapefile at less than 5Mb (a 43 lot subdivision).  This does bother me a bit, but after publishing as a map service it is much better.

I do have a question, are there any tools such as Identify already in ArcGIS Earth? 

ArcGIS Earth

0 Kudos
JasmineDu
Esri Contributor

Hi Gavin,

The issue is logged and the team is working on improving performance. In V1.2 UC release, feature identify will be supported.

Best,

Jasmine

0 Kudos
AidaAfrooz
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a similar problem. ArcGIS Earth doesn't display anything and freeze several times. Even when I upload a map from ArcGIS online, it doesn't display anything.

Any suggestions?

ArcGIS Earth display issue  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what about the system requirements?

ArcGIS Earth | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
AidaAfrooz
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Sorry I forgot to add them: