LAS Dataset Toolbar greyed out

Jump to solution
01-26-2016 03:57 PM
ElenaElena
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am working with Lidar data but having problems with LAS Dataset toolbar - it's actually greyed out.3D Analyst seems to work fine, I was able to use LAS to Multipoint and LAS Dataset to TIN tools. But I cannot apply filters from the LAS Dataset toolbar or draw a profile or to select different representations of elevation, neither to .las nor to .lasd. Any ideas of why this may happen?

I would very much appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elena,

Check this out

LAS Dataset questions ArcMap 10.1 and ArcScene 10.1

When creating an LAS Dataset through ArcToolbox, I would add all of my .las tiles, then choose a coordinate system, but did NOT check the box "Calculate Statistics" before creating the dataset. I'd then end up calculating statistics later using ArcCatalog. Every time I did this, the Profile View in the LAS Dataset Toolbar did not work and showed up as greyed out.

However, when I created my LAS Dataset and checked the "Calculate Statistics" box in the ArcToolbox dialog box, the Profile View then worked

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So the help topic suggests you have turned on the 3D extension at least The interactive LAS Dataset toolbar—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and an appropriate layer selected in the table of contents? 

LAS dataset Profile View—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Under the customize menu > extensions > is the 3D Analyst extension turned on?

GIS_TechEngineering
New Contributor III

Simple solution and so easy to forget when you don't work with these datasets on a regular basis. Thanks

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elena,

Check this out

LAS Dataset questions ArcMap 10.1 and ArcScene 10.1

When creating an LAS Dataset through ArcToolbox, I would add all of my .las tiles, then choose a coordinate system, but did NOT check the box "Calculate Statistics" before creating the dataset. I'd then end up calculating statistics later using ArcCatalog. Every time I did this, the Profile View in the LAS Dataset Toolbar did not work and showed up as greyed out.

However, when I created my LAS Dataset and checked the "Calculate Statistics" box in the ArcToolbox dialog box, the Profile View then worked

Think Location
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And to underline the point...

You cannot actually see a *.las dataset directly, they have to be loaded into a *.lasd dataset, created in ArcCatalog first. And statistics should be done.

0 Kudos
ElenaElena
New Contributor

Thank you, Jayanta. This for the reason in my case as well.