Format Dynamic Text Coordinates

01-28-2016 04:21 AM
SamuelHicks
New Contributor II

I am using data driven pages and including a url to our web-mapping system to show the same extent as the current map. This requires X & Y coordinates without any comma separators (6 figure coordinates for British National Grid)

Is there a way to format coordinates so they are displayed without a comma separator? I know I can adjust the decimal places in the tag but are there any other options (Add and modify dynamic text—Layouts | ArcGIS for Desktop )?

I know I can create new fields, calculate geometry and format the number in the field properties but would like to avoid this if possible so I do not have to calculate geometry for new polygons.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately that dynamic text is hard-coded to use the thousands separator. You might see about suggesting that be changed to an optional parameter. Please post the suggestion/request on the ideas site at http://ideas.arcgis.com/

In the meantime, you might consider using python/arcpy to update the text as needed, using regular static text. I'm not well-versed enough in python to say how that might be done, but I'm sure there are plenty of people around this forum who could.

SamuelHicks
New Contributor II

Thank you David. I thought that may be the case. I have posted the idea (ArcGIS Idea - Give more formatting options for Coordinates as Dynamic Text ) so will see if anything comes of that. In the meantime I will have a look into python options