'Add Surface Information' error 99999

02-01-2016 09:57 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

I am getting 99999 error when running the 'Add Surface Information' tool with a 3D polygon. I have tried adding Z_MIN, Z_MAX, Z_MEAN, separately and in combination but it will not work. I get the field added and all Null values. I know this was supposed to be fixed in 10.2 but is it fixed? I am using 10.3.1 and I also tried in ArcGIS Pro 1.1.0 (same error).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you have a link saying it was supposed to be fixed in 10.2?

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gary

I have looked for subtle wording suggestions in the help file that might give a suggestion that it was a "by design" fix or whether the problem still exists. Add Surface Information—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

I would suggest that you send in a bug info request to get clarification on what was...if anything... fixed.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Will do. Thanks for your help.

--gary

Gary H. Bowles

GIS Database Administrator II | Seneca Resources

Office : 412-548-2544 | Cell Phone: 412-334-5273

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

FYI https://community.esri.com/search.jspa?q=add%20surface%20information  seems to be an issue with no commentary from those in the know

0 Kudos
MichaelRichey
New Contributor

Having the same issue with Add Surface Information in 10.3.1. Using polygon feature and DEM. Three "Z" attribute fields are created, but populated with 0's.

0 Kudos
JohnDiaz
New Contributor II

This problem is still occurring in Pro 2.0 and ArcMap 10.4.1.  Use Slope (spatial analyst) and Zonal Statistics as Table (spatial analyst) instead.  It's a little more work, but these tools don't seem to fail.

0 Kudos
SimonBaril-Tessier
New Contributor II

I know it's an old tread, it just happened to me.

After trial an error, I created a new feature class with the same coordinates system than the surface with no Z values. Append my old feature class to the new one.

Ran the "Add surface info" tool and it worked.

I just had to do a spatial join with the old feature class. 

Hope this works for you! 

Manuel_EderMamani_Yanque
New Contributor

Try to use a Tin surface instead a raster surface. You can easily convert your raster surface to a Tin surface with the tool box.

Hope this works for you !!!