Line of sight not straight

Jump to solution
02-04-2016 02:08 AM
PmssS
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

This is odd and I have no idea why it is happening. ARCmap 10.3 and ArcScene

Normally when I use the Line of sight after constructing the sight lines, the given result is straight lines, with the attribute "VisCode" dividing what is visible and not. The inputs are the sight lines, the dtm and a polygon feature class with the buildings.

Yesterday I tried to do a Line of sight:

input surface - DSM.img

input line features - sight_lines

input features - <empty>

output - into a GDB

the result is a line with the "viscode" attribute but that follows all the relief of the DSM in that direction. better explained:

- the profile of the first line, it is a straight line from the start point to the end point

- the profile of the second, it is an irregular line depicting all the obstructions of the relief from the starting point to the end point.

what happen?!

cheers

P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Line Of Sight—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop says in parsed form:

• Output lines will be divided along visible and invisible portions of the input sight line.
  • If only a surface is used to determine sight line visibility, the output lines will follow the surface profile.
  • If a multipatch feature is provided when calculating line of sight, the output lines will follow the trajectory of the input sight lines.

I think it is the 2nd bullet you are seeing perhaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Line Of Sight—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop says in parsed form:

• Output lines will be divided along visible and invisible portions of the input sight line.
  • If only a surface is used to determine sight line visibility, the output lines will follow the surface profile.
  • If a multipatch feature is provided when calculating line of sight, the output lines will follow the trajectory of the input sight lines.

I think it is the 2nd bullet you are seeing perhaps

PmssS
by
New Contributor II

thanks...

I will try to do it using a dummy feature class! this way I might get the straight line that I want.

cheers

P

0 Kudos