Too much "white space"... Properties box(s) non-expandable

02-18-2016 01:15 PM
JakeKrall
Occasional Contributor III

LayerPropBox.PNG

Is it possible to make use of all the extra space on this tab (all tabs for that matter)?  I think it's been like this since version 8.  Also, make all (or at least most dialog boxes) expandable.  10.4 would be a great place to make these changes.  Please consider/implement for 10.4!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Send it in when the new ArcGIS Ideas pops up.

ArcGIS Ideas coming to GeoNet

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

I'm not sure if it applies in this case, but the size of dialogs and how things fit are determined by the largest contents, as well as making sure there is room for other languages which often take up more space than English UI. Maybe there are renderers that use that white space? I see what you mean though. Maybe it could be improved, or maybe it would be too disruptive - I don't know as I'm not part of the teams responsible for that. Submitting an idea (or logging an issue with tech support) is probably your best course of action at this point.

Of course, it's better in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
JakeKrall

I just hope while I'm still doing GIS, ArcGIS "Pro" (as it's called for whatever reason) doesn't take over Arcgis Desktop!  Basically, just can't seem to make it run long enough to get anything done  - crashes a lot!  But that is for another discussion...

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to ESRI design school. ArcGIS has been full of garbage UI layouts like you pointed out since 8.x and they are unwilling/incapable of improving it. And, yes, ArcGIS Pro will (eventually) replace Arcmap. It's their world, we just live in it.

0 Kudos