Building footprints in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
02-19-2016 10:23 AM
Labels (2)
TaraPrince1
New Contributor II

Good afternoon everyone,

I work for a local assessors office and one of our functions is to maintain building records.  Currently we have a software company that we use, but we are considering moving our data into ArcGIS.  The goal would be to be able to maintain the building data in ArcGIS, preferably on a tablet out in the field.  I was wondering if anyone out there is already using ArcGIS to maintain their building footprints?  Are there any pro's or con's you wish you had know about ahead of time?  Do you have a CAMA system that you can integrate your building data with?  We are just looking for information on how other people are doing it or if its not feasible.  Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.  I'll be glad to answer any additional questions if it helps you figure out what we are up to. 

Thanks a bunch,

Tara

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tara,

I worked with a county in New Jersey that used a combination of products from ESRI's platform (ArcGIS Desktop,

ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online).  We created a web application for them using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.  This allowed them to access the information on any device (desktop, smart phone, tablet).

They had some of the parcels, sales and appeals information within another system (MicroSystems).  We exported the data from this system to a tabular format and joined this to the parcel feature class.  The assessor's could then use the web application built for the municipality they were assessing and have access to all the required information they needed, as well as some configured widgets to help them perform their assessment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tara,

I worked with a county in New Jersey that used a combination of products from ESRI's platform (ArcGIS Desktop,

ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online).  We created a web application for them using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.  This allowed them to access the information on any device (desktop, smart phone, tablet).

They had some of the parcels, sales and appeals information within another system (MicroSystems).  We exported the data from this system to a tabular format and joined this to the parcel feature class.  The assessor's could then use the web application built for the municipality they were assessing and have access to all the required information they needed, as well as some configured widgets to help them perform their assessment.

0 Kudos
TaraPrince1
New Contributor II

Thanks!  We are getting ready to build an desktop appraisal application and we thought why not manage the building footprints within ArcGIS as well.  Your comments are greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos