Fallback label class if the default label cannot be placed?

03-09-2016 09:58 AM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Is there a way to control the labels for a layer such that if the default label class does not fit at all to try to use a different class if and only if the default label class could not be placed on the map

Example:

Default Class

• Use both the parcel numbers and owner names for the label.
  • Try to fit the label in the parcel by reducing the font size and abbreviating if necessary.

Small Parcel Class (Try to use this class ONLY If the default label was not placed)

• Use only part of the parcel number for the label.
  • Try to fit the label in the parcel by reducing the font size and abbreviating if the text.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Have you looked at Working with the Maplex Label Engine—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop looks like it has a few options

0 Kudos
MarkVolz

Wes,

Thank You for your help!

I apologize, I should have further specified that I am already using mapplex.  Mapplex does indeed have a great deal of control as far as staking, font reduction, abbreviations to help labels fit into a map. 

My problem however, is that sometimes labels will not fit no matter what.  In those cases I would like to specify a different label class.  ArcGIS does allow for different label classes however I don't know how to display only one class or the other based on whether or not a label was placed in the default class.  The closest thing I can think off the top of my head is I could use a sql query and look at the area.  However, that does not work for labeling as some parcels are narrow but long - so the default label could fit anyways, and other parcels are square and therefore cannot fit the default label even through they might have the same area as a narrow parcel.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

My next thought would be feature linked annotation. Hope someone else has a better answer.

Create Feature Linked Annotation—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark,

We don't have the ability to do this at the moment.  Using the Abbreviation dictionary to swap out words if the first option doesn't fit would be the closest we have.

thanks

Wendy

MarkVolz

Wendy,

Thank you for confirming. I think it would be useful so I added it to the ideas center. For now I will move ahead with doing the best I can with the current options.

Sincerely,

Mark Volz

0 Kudos
BruceLang

I'm looking for a solution too.  A Maplex "alternate labels" option, within the fitting strategy tab, would help tremendously.

I hope more than one alternative would be offered too.

0 Kudos