Encountered an improper argument

03-16-2016 04:35 AM
GregoryLipps
New Contributor

I just upgraded to 10.4 and whenever I attempt to open a model I receive the error message "Encountered an improper argument."  It doesn't matter if this is an existing model, or an entirely new model in an entirely new toolbox.  Spatial Analyst extension is activated.

I followed the advice given here, renaming the ESRI folder in AppData and in the Registry, but the problem continues to persist.  Any advice before I uninstall and go back to 10.2?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JasonLord
New Contributor II

I had this same issue with 10.5  Solution wsa to go into control panel>>Unistall/Change Application/ " REINSTALL"

Solved the problem.

I did this with ESRI Analyst on the phone, only know solution so far.

Good Luck. 

AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

We are having this problem with one of our users with 10.5.1. When opening an older model we get the error "An Error Occurred within this application. The cause is undetermined". When opening ModelBuilder we got the "Improper argument" error. We also recently migrated to Windows 10. We tried an complete uninstall/reinstall and it didn't fix the problem. I have no trouble on my PC. We will call Esri next.

JasonLord
New Contributor II

Hi Amy,

I actually had continued trouble, and even upgraded to 10.5.1 and started getting additional errors related to corrupted bin Directory files, and reinstalling was the only fix until I mapped out which .dll files were getting corrupted, and then just copied all of them(5 total) to copy and paste back in to the bin directory where they exist.

I have an open case and will post what they provide as feedback asap.

Good Luck,

Jason

AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III

we were going to perform another uninstall/reinstall with a newly downloaded file and one of our IT guys decided to try "repair" instead of uninstall and it worked. Will see if what ever it fixed reverts back but for now I guess our user is able to use modelbuilder

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A repair operation is not only faster than a full uninstall reinstall, it is usually pretty good about making sure .dlls are in the path and uncorrupted, paths, file associations are correct, etc. When things are not working in this weird way I recommend, until the issue is fixed: a) close ArcMap, restart b) log out log in again, c) new map document, d) user profile reset [esp if only one user is affected] e) full uninstall, restart, install  -- best to do these in order as a windows reinstall of arcgis is major surgery!

0 Kudos
JasonLord
New Contributor II

Hey Curtis/Amy,

I left that detail out, I apologize.  I was walked through that process with the "repair function" the first time when on the phone with ESRI, however after that event series is when I started getting wholly different errors with the .dll files. Then i just removed and reinstalled completely.

I have just encountered a new "vacated" .dll file and will have to "repair"and copy it for my final workaround which is to repopulate the .dll files that something in the launching of the application is causing it/them to vacate their data and throw these weird errors that ESRI is researching.

Also happens with Arc Catalog.

Cheers,

jason