Detecting Tree Crowns in Raw LAS Clouds?

03-16-2016 11:20 AM
Labels (1)
JB11
by
New Contributor

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a program that can detect tree crowns, or similar objects within a raw LAS cloud. FUSION's CanopyMaxima only detects local peaks in a surface model and then estimates their volume with a user specified allometric equation. This is undesirable for many reasons. LASTools has no similar functionality at this time.

I've found a program (TIFFS) that appears to do what I want, but I received no response from my request for a free trial. I just tried for a second time in 3 months, so maybe I'll have better luck while it's not the holidays.

I've seen some papers where it's done, but they develop it with their own with software engineers, but my lab does not have access to such people; I have to figure it out on my own.

Maybe a ArcPy script that could accomplish this?

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

This may prove an interesting challenge for the Python guru's here on GeoNET.  Adding  Python Imagery and Remote Sensing

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I'll just say that if the makers of FUSION (specifically a forestry toolset) and LASTools (made by a man who can see the matrix) haven't come up with a solution, then I highly doubt any of us are going to just whip one off in Arcpy...

0 Kudos
JB11
by
New Contributor

I don't think it's appropriate, nor was I asking, for someone to create one for me, but I was wondering if one existed that I was not aware of or if anyone had other ideas.

0 Kudos