Layer List Widget - Radio Button Option

03-17-2016 11:02 PM
RodWoodfordOld
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Will the next release of WABD include an option to configure radio buttons over check boxes in the Layer List Widget. At the moment the user is required to turn a layer off and another layer on when they only want to display one layer at a time, its very messy to work with especially when ticked on layers sit above the chosen layer hiding its required vision. It confuses end users. Basically trying to switch between aerial images.

If there is another widget out there that can do this, please advice.

cheers

Rod

Tags (1)
11 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rod,

I do not know of any plans to add this ability to the LayerList widget. I have only every seen a handful of people desire this in the many years I have been doing these forums so it is more of a case for someone to do a custom development then to have it as part of the core widget.

RodWoodfordOld

Thanks for getting back to me Robert. I thought that would be the case. I did look at the AddLayer Widget to see if it had this type of functionality. It doesn't from what I can see. Maybe this widget has the potential for this type of development. Do you have anymore ideas re this. Our staff are really frustrated with the current workflow using the layer list widget. Especially since our previous flex app could achieve the desired outcome via radio button selection. Thanks for your time

Rod

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The LayerList widget in the 4.0 API will have this capability, so Esri must be aware of a need for this. How long it will take to make this into the WAB is another question, though.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ken,

I missed that info. Where did you see or hear that?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't quite right. It's the visibilityMode property of the GroupLayer, which gets reflected in the LayerList. If you look at the plenary video "ArcGIS APIs and SDKs", starting at the 8:05 mark, you'll see it in action.

visibility.png

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I sure hope they make the print widget work with this setup as well   --- as it is right now, map services with grouped layers don't even get added to the legend!

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Thanks for the info Ken. Now we just wait for ESRI to catch up I guess!!!

Rod

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah Ken Buja​ thank you for your input, and your many samples dealing with layers and TOCs over the years.

Since we're talking TOCs, do you all think having partial-state check boxes for when only some of the layers in a group are on but not all of them would be useful?

(I think this would even be useful for ArcMap Desktop)

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

All,

Here is a thread where I came out with some code for sublayer checkboxes to act like radio buttons (i.e. only one sublayer enabled/visible at a time).

https://community.esri.com/thread/182116-layerlist-21-option-to-displays-sublayer