Can you have attributes display for Vector Tiles?

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 03:31 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have posted some test Vector Tile Packages to AGO.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get attributes in a popup?  It sounds possible in the help but only for a custom web app.  I see that you can now add a popup for a map service or cache tiles by pointing to a Feature Service but I do not see this option for Vector Tiles.

I think the ability to change color is still in development correct?

Also please add the ability to see Vector Tile packages and/or Vector services in ArcMap!

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Doug,

Enabling pop ups on vector tiles in the map viewer is currently unavailable.

You can change the colours in a vector basemap:

Here is a blog that outlines how to customize vector tiles:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/11/19/how-to-customize-esri-vector-basemaps/

It also includes a link to a sample that includes text editing with visual updates:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-vectortile-style-editor​ (Follow the “View it live” link)

-Kelly

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you go through the help topic on popups? View pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That page just talks about viewing popups..

On this page it says its possible but the Popup button will not show for Vector Tiles.

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Enable pop-ups on hosted tile layers without feature data

You can display pop-ups on hosted tile layers that don't have any attribute data by specifying a feature layer with the data you want to show.

1. Open the map in the map viewer, click Details, and click Contents.
  2. Browse to the sublayer of the hosted tile layer where you want to display attribute data, click More Options More Options, and click Enable Pop-up.
  3. Specify how you want to choose a layer—Choose from my items or Enter a URL for a layer.
    • If you selected to choose from your items, check the box if you want to include items from your organization, select a map or feature layer from the list, and select a sublayer in the layer to use in the pop-up.
    • If you selected to enter a URL, enter a URL, for example, http://<Server>/ArcGIS/rest/services/<Service>/<LayerId> and select a sublayer in the layer to use in the pop-up.
  4. Click Enable Pop-up.
Tip:

You can follow these same steps for displaying pop-ups on cached map image layers that don't have any attribute data.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well, I keep getting into a loop of publish this, share that, beta this, so in short, I can find no direct answer.  I would direct you to the help topics on vector tile layers and how to publish them etc etc, but I suspect you have already seen that.  good luck

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Doug,

Enabling pop ups on vector tiles in the map viewer is currently unavailable.

You can change the colours in a vector basemap:

Here is a blog that outlines how to customize vector tiles:

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/11/19/how-to-customize-esri-vector-basemaps/

It also includes a link to a sample that includes text editing with visual updates:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-vectortile-style-editor​ (Follow the “View it live” link)

-Kelly

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks I figured it was not ready yet. 

Note one link above has a bad link.  Also for me the Style tool just shows a blank screen once I pick a Vector Tile package. 

I was more hoping to see the ability for end users be able to change via a button in AGO not a json hack (but I know it is really early on in the process).

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also the help for the Vector tiles is wrong.  This code does not work.  It keeps saying the value type for in_map is wrong.

Create Vector Tile Package—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

p = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("c:\\temp\\myproject.aprx")

for m in p.listMaps():

print("Packaging" + m.name)

arcpy.CreateVectorTilePackage_management(m, m.name + '.vtpk', "INDEXED", 295828763.795777, 1128.497176)

It just has "Map" for the in_map from the snippet but that of course does not work in script. I have yet to find anything it likes.  Any hints?

#arcpy.management.CreateVectorTilePackage("Map", r"C:\Vector\Settings.vtpk", "ONLINE", None, "INDEXED", 295828763.795778, 564.248588, r"C:\Vector\SettingsIndex.shp", None, None)

The tool to create the vector index will also not accept in_map.  Its help has a sample from some other tool??

Create Vector Tile Index—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

The following Python window script demonstrates how to use the CreateVectorTileIndex tool in immediate mode.

import arcpy from arcpy 
import env 
env.workspace = "C:/data/cartography.gdb/transportation" 
arcpy.CreateIndexTiles_cartography("CURRENT", "tiles", 10000)

Also when copying the snippet from Pro it has another parameter with the value ONLINE that does not exist in the help.

#arcpy.management.CreateVectorTileIndex("Map", r"C:\Vector\SettingsIndex.shp", "ONLINE", None, 10000)

Please let me know the correct params or point me to help files that are correct. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Create Vector Tile Package—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

ONLINE is clearly an option in service_type from the pro 1.2 help topics

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For CreateVectorTilePackage yes but for CreateVectorTileIndex no.  You must have seen my message before I edited it - I had them in the wrong order at first.

0 Kudos
AnninaHirschi_Wyss1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Are pop up / Attribute queries for Vector Tiles already under consideration for a future release, or is this feature "out of the product plan"? Thanks, Annina