What is my easiest option to create Isochrones?

04-07-2016 04:04 AM
AmazingMapMan
New Contributor III

Hello,

one of our Clients has to create Isochrones for a set of Points (~30) in a City.

It is a one-time-project and he has to do it only for one city.

The Client has ArcGIS Desktop Standard and ArcGIS Server enterprise Standard. No Modules like Network analyst at the moment.

What is the easiest way for him to create some Isochrones?

Get a Test Installation of Network analyst? How can he get the road network for his city?

Is there an option via ArcGIS Online? He doesn't use it at the moment, but could activate it.

(Blasphemy warning)

Or is there another easy option aside from Esri? Open Street Map or something?

The goal is to minimize the effort, especially for creating a road network etc.

Greetings,

Stefan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AmazingMapMan
New Contributor III

For reference:

After a lot of digging I found a solution.

The easiest option is to use ArcGIS Pro and use online geoprocessing from "http://logistics.arcgis.com/arcgis/services".You can use this service as an geoprocessing tool and calculate very nice service areas. The credit costs are acceptable, if you only want to analyse a handful of locations.

I presented this solution to our client and he was happy.

Then I told him to activate his ArcGIS Pro license and pointed him to an online help site that explains the necessary steps.

Surprisingly  there are nearly 30 steps necessary to get an ArcGIS Pro license up and running.

The client was not happy anymore.

His reaction: Ok, forget it. We will create our own network dataset and use pgRouting.

Great.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

"We will create our own network dataset"

Easier said than done....

AmazingMapMan
New Contributor III

That was my first reaction also.

But apparently there are tools that create a valid network in a postgres database from downloaded open street map data.

I think I will call the client next week or so and ask him about the results...

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Be interesting to hear the feedback from that exercise.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Neil - agreed.  I can't tell you how many times a Project Manager has told me "This project should be fairly easy, as the client already has a well-developed street linework to start with", then you get the line feature class and while it looks great zoomed out it has hundreds of tiny disconnects that are not readily visible.

Level of Effort for Network Analysis = 1% Analysis, 99% Data Cleanup

Chris Donohue, GISP

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And, if this data is coming from CAD.....

Run a mile.

0 Kudos