Creating a flex web solution

04-13-2016 07:48 AM
EvonFranklin
New Contributor III

I have been learning flex and a bit about esri and how it works. I am having difficulty getting a blank project set up, is there a link to a step by step guide on how to get started with a blank map? I have looked at the getting started guide but my project still gives me an error when attempting to launch the application I suspect it has something to do with the localhost settings but I have yet to figure out how to run the base application after following the "getting started " guide from esri flex api page. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evon,

You should not be starting to learn the esri Flex API. Esri has released it's last release of the Flex API and will not be investing in this technology any more.

The latest release of ArcGIS API for Flex is significant in that it is the last planned release of this technology. While technical support will be available through June of 2016, maintenance will be discontinued. Customers should begin exploring web solutions that are based on ArcGIS API for JavaScript. More information regarding this can be found in the following blog article.

EvonFranklin
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for your reply, should I instead look into the JS implementations?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes that is the preferred path moving forward.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You should also look into the Web AppBuilder develop edition, which is a JavaScript implementation.  You can download it at developers.esri.com and there are many links, including many custom widgets written by Robert and other Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

0 Kudos
TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

Evon,

Rebecca and Robert are correct. I just installed the Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 2.0 on my office PC. Took me some time to figure it out, but the write up by Tapas Das was the best solution to helping me figure this out:

Installing Robert’s Enhanced Search Widget for the Web AppBuilder

He provides a step by step instruction on exactly what you need to do with an excellent example.

Some helpful info, which I found confusing at first, was the proxy thing; if you do not have a proxy it is easier, but if you do Tapas Das explains what you need to do in the link I provided.

Also, remember the Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 2.0 is installed on your local computer. All your app building will be done here. Then once done, you can zip the app you just made and move it to your server machine.

Also, if you are working on your Office PC, then you need to be sure to include the name of the computer AND the domain in the address when you install the Web AppBuilder. Tapas Das mentions LocalHost:3344 in the document, but this is only useful if it is on your home computer. Your office computer name {domain}:[port] should look something like this: my-office-computer.mydomain.net:3344 OR myofficecomputer.mydomain.com:3344. "3344" is the Port. You will most likely always use 3344.

0 Kudos