Best Practice for upgrade and migration of Enterprise ArcGIS Server Sites

04-21-2016 12:39 PM
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

My organization has a few ArcGIS Server Sites that we are upgrading from 10.0-10.2.1, in addition to a move from Oracle to SQL Server.  The ArcGIS Server sites support applications such as Geocortex and Cityworks.  The intended migration from 10.0-10.2.1 is to move our physically hosted applications and services to a virtual environment, we have already identified our Virtual Machines and resource allocation based on our license agreement, however from a very high level, what are suggested best practices when upgrading and migrating ArcGIS Server Sites and associated databases?

My initial thought for the order of operations for this upgrade is to

1.) Install and upgrade all ArcGIS Server 10.0 sites to 10.2.1

2.Insall all upgraded 3rd party applications on respective VMs, Cityworks and Geocortex

3.)migrate all Oracle based data to SQL server via direct connect

4.)Create MXDs for map and feature services

5.)Test applications and workflows for 3rd party applications consuming map and feature services.

Should anything here be reconsidered or refined? The objective is to successfully upgrade the GIS environment based on organization and end user needs.  The area that is unclear for me is the testing procedures of newly installed sites and applications.  We will not support a  staging environment for each of the ArcGIS Server sites.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This  will not answer all you questions at this time, but keep in mind that when upgrading from 10.0 the services will not automatically be upgraded, that is, you will have to recreate them.  Caches can be reused, but the path names/location of caches changed, if I remember correctly, and I would recommend getting the services setup and initialized (with the new structure) before copting them over.  Also, upgrading to the new compact cache format will save lots of disc space and make copying if the cache much faster.

If you have a current EDN license, I would use that to setup and test in the new environment (for testing, non-production use only), then once everything seems to your liking, switch to your license. This is not a staging license, and is tied to one individual, but is a way to learn/test etc, and if setup on a non-production/test machine (after deploying) can help with caching. Check with your customer service rep or local distributor, and check it out Esri Developer Network (EDN)

StevenGraf1

To add to what Rebecca stated,

There was an architecture change from version 10.0 to 10.1 so you can't directly upgrade.  You will have to do a fresh install.  I would highly recommend installing SQL Server Native Client before installing ArcGIS Server 10.2.  I had an issue once where ArcGIS Server didn't recognize SQL Server because I installed SQL Server after ArcGIS Server. I think Microsoft may be doing away with the SQL Server Native Client in newer releases.  I believe they are pushing people to use ODBC connections.

From 10.1 and on, you can do direct upgrades instead of doing fresh installs every time.

-Steven

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Are there dependencies on 10.2.1 for your 3rd party applications? I'd like to understand the rationale behind upgrading to 10.2.1 rather than the newer releases - we're currently on 10.4 and are finalizing 10.4.1.

If you haven't seen it already, this documentation may be helpful as you migrate:

Migration checklist—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Migrating ArcGIS Server 10.0 to later versions—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

What to expect when migrating ArcGIS Server 10.0 to later versions—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

Unless a bit of downtime for your existing site can be scheduled, I'd strongly suggest a parallel upgrade in your virtual environment so that you can 'flip the switch' for a relatively seamless move.

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest

We are upgrading to 10.2.1 because of the 3rd party dependencies with ArcFM, this is the latest version that Schneider Electric supports for this product.  Thank you for links and tips.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Got it.

Sounds like you may be working with a utility.

Schneider may have provided you this guidance, but you'll want to install this patch:

ArcGIS 10.2.1 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Utilities and Telecom Update 5 Patch | Samples and Utili...

0 Kudos