How do you export KMZ from ArcGIS Earth?

04-21-2016 10:41 AM
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

In my Data folder I have created a folder with about 10 points. I can not figure out how to export this folder as a KMZ..... anyone know how?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I saw nothing in the documentation as you found.  Do you have access to other software since a kmz is essentially a zip file with a kmz file extension and can be created in google e, arcmap etc

An overview of the To KML toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

Well, I would hate to have to re-create these points in another program is the problem....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you don't have to...arcmap, google earth etc and many others load kml and kmz

0 Kudos
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

I am not being clear, I am sorry. I created the "points" in ArcGIS Earth. So they are there, in the MyData folder when I open the program. I am not sure how to get them out of there and into another program, or export them as a kmz, etc..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

use your operating system... assuming windows.. to do the move.  Select the kml files, right-click, send to compress file, will result in a zip file... rename it to *.kmz.  If you have kml files, the resultant kmz should be able to be opedn

Alternative, load the kml's into google earth and organize them into one grouping, then save that as a kmz

0 Kudos
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

I can not find the kml files. I am not sure Arc Earth even saves anything when you "draw". Basically I opened up Arc Earth, used the draw tool, and dropped points on the base map and named them. They appear in a folder called "My Drawings" in Arc Earth. I am not sure how to save them permanently, or if ArcEarth automatically does. If it does it automatically, I can not find where it saves them too....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

help remains thin... ArcGIS Earth | ArcGIS

perhaps the owners of the ArGIS Earth Place will chime in

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi folks,

We simply don't have the KML export capability yet... and the drawing elements are not created as hidden KML under the hood.  This simple use case is planned for the 1.2 update at the UC timeframe.  More advanced KML editing will be later in the roadmap.
Thanks!
Chris