POINT LINE STRUCTURE IN ARCMAP

05-17-2016 04:58 AM
TabraizAhmed
New Contributor II

hello everyone,

I am writing a code to develop an ArcMap tool (c#), the tool is based on points and lines only,

i need to draw a structure i.e, I have a point on a map and with its coordinates i have to draw a line of 3 meter and create another point at last vertex of that line (but i dont know how to do this), next step will be again i have to draw a line of 0.5 meter from the center point of first line and perpendicular to it and again create another point feature snapped at last vertex of 2nd line(the second line is perpendicular to first). and again i need to repeat the same process 2 to 3 times more, kindly help me out with it

regards,

Tabraiz Ahmed

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have chosen the language first.  Why are you restricted to C#?  Is the functionality of the tool secondary?

0 Kudos
TabraizAhmed
New Contributor II

I am new at programming and I started it with c#,

0 Kudos
TabraizAhmed
New Contributor II

I am new at programming and I started it with c#,

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry... I don't follow.  It is like saying I have a hammer but I have to change a light bulb.  Is the application/use of the language the most important thing or is it the task? since some tasks are more readily done in certain programming environments

WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Python is a much easier language to learn.

Writing geometries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Aside from all the talk about programming languages (but I am a python fan).

What you are talking about is a point projection problem.

You have coordinate XY, you need the coordinate of a point at some distance and bearing from this point.

Lots of stuff here and at wiki under basic trig.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan and Wes that it would help to know if you must use C# or if that is just what you started with.  If this is for a class, or work restricts you to use C#, then you may want to check out some of there help pages:

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net | ArcGIS for Developers

Developer's guide—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET - Windows Desktop API Reference | ArcGIS for Developers

.NET Sample Code Home | ArcGIS for Developers

arcgis desktop - Tutorial for c# and ArcObjects? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

It would also help to know what version or ArcGIS you are using.

But as Wes mention, if you have a choice, learning to write geometries with Python would most likely be a much easier approach.  It the goal is to learn C# and ArcObjects, then look at the links I mentioned above.

0 Kudos