Auto populating from a choice list?

Jump to solution
05-24-2016 10:46 AM
KylePyne
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am wanting to scan barcodes from an assortment of fittings and pipe, then populate 6 different fields based on the barcode field. The barcodes use base-62 encoding and instead of doing the calculations (I am not sure if possible in xforms?), I would rather it calculate the substring value and populate a field with a corresponding value in the choice list.

The only way I am able to do so is have a calculate field pull the substring, then a select_one field with a choice filter that limits the selection to the calculated substring value. Since there is only one choice for that substring, it populates the list with the single correct value, however, the user must select all 6 fields for them to show up on the survey.

Is there anyway that these values can be defaulted, preferably in a text field? Hopefully I am going about this entirely wrong and there is a simple way to fill in a value from a list.

I am new to Survey123 and xforms in general, so any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kyle Pyne

This Understanding Barcode Questions in Survey123 for ArcGIS blog post may be able to help. Note that the post references a new Survey sample we added in Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS 1.4.  If you need to download the latest version of Connect, you can get it from here​  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kyle Pyne

This Understanding Barcode Questions in Survey123 for ArcGIS blog post may be able to help. Note that the post references a new Survey sample we added in Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS 1.4.  If you need to download the latest version of Connect, you can get it from here​  

0 Kudos
KylePyne
New Contributor III

Thanks Ismael,

The post was helpful, as I wasn't aware you could change the barcode format in the Survey123 app.

However, I do still need help populating data from the scanned barcode. For example if the barcode reads "S1234", I want "S" to populate "Stark Industries", "12" to populate "Building 12" and "34" to populate "Room 34". I am able to do so using the above comment, but it is in a select_one field and each field must be selected so that it will appear on the survey.

I hope this makes sense.