Custom Basemap (Tile Package) generated with a Tiling Scheme unsupported ?

05-31-2016 02:29 AM
HuguesGenard
New Contributor II

We're doing surveying using a CAD file. I have created a .tpk from it in 10.2 using a Tiling Scheme to increase my zoom level to 1:125

The Tile Package is loaded to the 'Maps' folder as required and the map is visible in the list but once I select it, I get a blank background.

Another custom basemap generated the "usual way" (with no Tiling Scheme and Zoom level limited to 20) works perfectly but I really need a higher zoom level.

Am i doing something wrong or Survey123 doesn't simply support it (yet) ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

Hopefully Ismael Chivite‌ will be able to shed some lights on this issue as I'm experiencing the same (using ArcGIS 10.3).

Creating a tpk using the Create Map Tile Package tool with the default ArcGIS Online scheme and levels works fine and the tpk displays OK in survey123.

On the other hand, when using tools from the Tile Package toolset with a custom tiling scheme xml to have more zoom levels, the tpks are NOT displayed in survey123 - they are not even on the basemap list in the app. The same tpk files display OK in Collector though.

When using the Create Map Tile Package tool and point it to the custom xml scheme, the tpk is displayed in survey123, but the location is wrong (in the Atlantic Ocean, south west of Namibia instead of Barking, London). The same tpk displays at the correct location in Collector. (Happy to send the xml tiling scheme and sample tpk files.)

We recently started using survey123 for production work and will need to deploy tpk files for offline use with zoom levels more than 20 available with the built-in option.

Any pointers on what's different in survey123 and how to overcome this problem? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. As long as the TPKs use the Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere Spatial Reference it should work fine. If you would be so kind to share with us your TPK files we will have a look.  If the data is sensitive and you do not want to post as an attachment, please open an Esri Technical Support incident and share that way. Thanks.

0 Kudos
zkovacs

I will try to get back with some TPKs as soon as my project works let me to do so. Apologies for the delay in advance!

0 Kudos
zkovacs

Hi Ismael,

I attached some TPKs alongside an mxd, a gdb and a Word document describing the issue in more details. Please let me know if you have any questions or something is not clear enough. Thank you.

0 Kudos
CardnoNew
New Contributor

Hi. Has this question been resolved? Is there any methodology that allows TPK files in survey123 to zoom in closer than the standard AGO scheme? All my efforts all result in blank squares similar to what Hugues Genard describes.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

This question is now two years old but I am facing the same issue. Any update on it? ichivite-esristaff?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nicole,

First, I'll note that ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap 10.6 now both support up to Level 23 in their ArcGIS Online tiling schemes templates, enabling more detailed TPKs to be created.  That being said, there is an issue detecting the additional levels- the Survey123 map will lag on detection (i.e., it will support the higher levels for the next TPK selected).  This can be workaround by creating a second tpk with the same levels (this can be a much smaller area, as this is only used to 'prime the pump', as it were) and first select that tpk before switching to the one you wish to use.

We plan on more comprehensively addressing this by supporting Mobile Map Packages (mmpk), including vector data, in the future.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James, 

Thanks for your feedback. My issue for my current project is more that I only need the levels 15-20. It feels like a waste of time and storage to create 15 levels that I won't need (even if those are not the ones that get heavy). 

In my ArcPro installation (2.1.2) I still only have up to 20 levels though. Would be great if there would be a way of chosing which scale levels I want in my package. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It may feel like a waste, but in reality the work to process Levels 0-14 won't amount to over 1% of the entire job's run; 3/4 of the tile production will occur at the most detailed level.  Take a look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Zoom_levels - the # of tiles should give you a sense of how the numbers grow (and yes, while a tile package will be smaller than the earth and thus have a smaller number at the highest level, the other levels will lower in proportion, flattening out to 1 or at most 4 tiles if your feature just happens to hit a corner location).

0 Kudos