Stacked Addresses

06-03-2016 10:45 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

i was wondering if anyone has run into the issue of stacked address and the best way to label them to make it visually intuitive as to which addresses actually exist in the stack?

i would assume in most cases this would be an issue mainly with apartments: same main number but different units based on which floor or all different main numbers based on which floor or which buidling.

in some cases i have upwards of 25 stacked points and scratching my head how to best label the addresses.

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not very elegant but I've used a text callout box and labeled by hand.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Whether or not this works for you, I don't know, but it would be intuitive to me that for each building you would consolidate the points into one, and have a single field listing the occupants/unit number separated by a special character (not sure if you can achieve this without using arcpy. Reply if you want help going down this route). Then, when labeling, in the placement properties, stack label options, specify that special character as a stacking separator.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

At the City where I work at we're in the same boat.  We run into this all the time.  Apartments, Condominiums, and office buildings are the primary culprits for us.  We're currently re-evaluating our addressing standard, but the labeling aspect hasn't been addressed (no pun intended) yet.  So for now, it's hand label each one individually  .  However, If the addresses are in a continuous range we often shorten the label by depicting the range instead of listing of all the units (i.e. the label for all apartments in one building would be "101-108, 201-208, 301-308").  Still, it's a manual process.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Dave:

Perhaps this blog will help you better display the points. 

Displaying coincident points | ArcGIS Blog 

-Shana