Is there a way to create an app link for ArcNavigator on android?

Jump to solution
06-09-2016 07:56 PM
MatthewDuffy
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to add stops to Navigator on my Android device.  I'm all loaded up with ArcNavigator and it is working well on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A.   The following is the format for iOS to launch ArcNav when texted or emailed a location's coordinate pair.

arcgis-navigator://?stops=Esri,34.056240,-117.195563,FinalStop,34.0546095717725,-117.188605796717&start=Starting,34.0607085505041,-117.200060816739&navigate=false

Shoot, even my Windows 10 Surface Book recognized that this app link needed ArcNavigator to be installed from the Windows store...and it isn't even available from the Windows Store.  Clicking on the link in the message window yields a "no app available" message. 

There must be a way, does anyone know what that way is?

Many thanks to Jake Skinner​ for providing the app link information.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

With the upcoming 0.2.0 release of Navigator on Android you will be able to use the URL scheme to send destinations to Navigator on the device. This release should be coming in the next couple of weeks and we will have updated and more detailed documentation explaining how developers can make use of this technology. If I were you I would wait, I will post to the forum as soon as there is something to test with.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

Thanks for the Questions.

There are two ways to add stops in Navigator. You can add stop through the app by tapping on the "+" button when there is a route on the screen or by editing an existing route. An alternate way to create a multi-stop route is to use the URL Scheme mentioned above. The documentation on this lives here: Create an app link—Navigate | ArcGIS

The general purpose of the URL scheme is for other apps to be able to launch and deep link into Navigator. Workforce and Collector already make use of this technology but you can also embed it in your apps. One thing to note is that with the 0.2.0 release of Navigator on Android (coming in a couple weeks) this scheme will change slightly to support addresses. 

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

Thanks so much for the reply Brent Pierce

Can you tell me if the release coming for Android in a couple of weeks would include support for the Create an app link—Navigate | ArcGIS ?

I am attempting to develop a workflow with our Transportation Unit using Android.  If I cannot import solved network analyst stops/routes from ArcMap desktop and I cannot create an app link, then in that case I would consider switching to iPad (much to my chagrin).

However, if what I'm looking for will be available in the up and coming weeks, then in that case we can wait it out a bit while we further develop the work flow.  I'd be grateful for any further insights you may be able to provide, thanks much either way.

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

With the upcoming 0.2.0 release of Navigator on Android you will be able to use the URL scheme to send destinations to Navigator on the device. This release should be coming in the next couple of weeks and we will have updated and more detailed documentation explaining how developers can make use of this technology. If I were you I would wait, I will post to the forum as soon as there is something to test with.

MatthewDuffy

Excellent .  I am sharing this conversation with our Transportation Unit and will suggest that we should follow your advice and wait for this while we continue to develop the data and database application.  Please keep us posted with any new updates regarding this technology, thanks again!

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Matt,

The Beta version of Navigator on Android is available which supports a custom URL scheme. It can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esri.navigator&ah=I5UTVNjnXafwVUNpt7x-vfd5xH0

Also here is a github repository which explains the behavior and schema of the URL, also includes a number of code samples in various languages/platforms: https://github.com/Esri/navigator-integration

Hope this helps,

-Brent

MatthewDuffy

Thanks much Brent!

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

When we run our tests I'll report my findings here, thanks again Brent Pierce

I did get notified by way of the early adopters program email alert a week or so ago, but I appreciate your following-up very much, thank you!

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

I am going to have to place a phone call for assistance, as the Git that I'm reviewing points me to a code sample that takes me to a youtube video of 'never going to give you up'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Should I take this to mean that there isn't a syntax sample of an email that will successfully call, open and start using ArcNav?  I am confused by this video, although it is funny, I'm not sure where to go next. 

When it works I am guessing this URL generator would be nice, but all I need is a sample that can be used in email so I can craft and send future emails with ordered route stops and successfully open ArcNav.

I'll start a chat or call for tech support.

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Matt,

What repository are you referring to specifically do you have a link? 

Brent

0 Kudos