arcpy.mapping 10.3.1: Table view not appearing in PDF

Jump to solution
06-14-2016 06:49 AM
JanaMartin
New Contributor III

Our MXD template has a Table View added, and everything looks fine in the mxd. When using Arcmap to generate the pdf, the table shows up as expected.

We have arcpy.mapping scripts to generate the pdf using ExportToPDF, and for some reason the Table does not show up on the final PDF.

Any suggestions on parameters or extra calls needed would be great.

Here is the code that is being called:

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(rootPath + '\\resources\\Template.mxd')

#target table

#experimenting with setting the size to make the image appear

tableElement = arcpy.mapping.ListLayoutElements(mxd, wildcard="targetTable")[0]

tableElement.elementHeight = 7.8264

tableElement.elementWidth = 10.9364

mxd.save()

arcpy.mapping.ExportToPDF(mxd, productPath + "\\Report.pdf")

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanaMartin
New Contributor III

I got a message back from tech support. Here is the answer.

"This is a current bug/limitation as NIM062177 - ExportToPDF using arcpy does not export a layer attribute table embedded in a layout.

And there is no workaround for this."

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jana, if you do a search on GeoNet, using 'exporttopdf' as the keyword, you will find nothing but grief.  Either layers, parts of layers aren't showing, showing at the wrong scale and myriad of other issues, they tend to be more frequent with the move to 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4 and 10.4.1 with a few tickets being opened for bugs.

In short, some of the issues have been narrowed down to printers, printers not be initialized prior to being called, printer margin sizes, sources of data (like servers etc).

Here is an example of one such plight issue ArcGIS 10.4 ArcPy ExporttoPDF only exports parts of layers

rather than wait for it to be resolved, file a report, I think there may be larger issues with the pdf 'stuff' and tiny patches may be prolonging the agony of getting a resolution to ensure that all aspects of exporting to this format are addressed.

Good luck

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Xander Bakker​ or Jana, maybe one of you might want to move this out of snippets into the more general Python​ place to ensure a full audience is addressed.  You might also want to do a 'Share' with Mapping

0 Kudos
JanaMartin
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan for the feedback. I have made the edits to the post.

As for the arcpy; I have found that a number of features do not work as they should. We will handle this with a long hand implementation.

0 Kudos
JanaMartin
New Contributor III

I got a message back from tech support. Here is the answer.

"This is a current bug/limitation as NIM062177 - ExportToPDF using arcpy does not export a layer attribute table embedded in a layout.

And there is no workaround for this."