After new installation of ArcMap 10.3.1, symbology is wrong

Jump to solution
06-20-2016 09:48 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I recently installed ArcMap 10.3.1 to a new computer on a network.  I have a map in a shared location which shows the correct symbology on my computer  (which also has 10.3.1), but when the map is accessed from the new installation the symbology is all messed up for point features. For example, a fire hydrant showed a large number "4", whereas it is supposed to be one of the symbols that looks like a fire hydrant.  If I search for fire hydrant in the symbol selector, the options are all wonky and include this number "4".

Any help in knowing what's going on and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheryl

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

From past experience I know this sometimes just requires a reboot of the machine after the install. It has to do with the fonts used by the symbols, as Adrian pointed out. Rebooting often seems to make the machine "see" the fonts and connect to them. If that doesn't work make sure you have bunch of Esri fonts in your machine's font directory.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Cheryl,

That sure is frustrating. It sounds like a font or a series of fonts was not installed properly. I am tagging ArcGIS for Desktop Installation support​ for more visibility (might also be a good idea to place your thread in this space).

I wonder if you were to perform a REPAIR install if this would fix this symbology issue.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

From past experience I know this sometimes just requires a reboot of the machine after the install. It has to do with the fonts used by the symbols, as Adrian pointed out. Rebooting often seems to make the machine "see" the fonts and connect to them. If that doesn't work make sure you have bunch of Esri fonts in your machine's font directory.

CherylTrine

Duh!  Sometimes you forget the simple things -- it simply needed a reboot!

Thanks all, for the help.

Cheryl

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That's a good point David.

Cheryl, the best way to see your fonts is to go into your Control Panel, type in Fonts and click on the Fonts button:

Then, scroll down to the E's and you should see a lot of Esri-based fonts:

CherylTrine

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll try these out when I get a chance.

0 Kudos