Why would Ortho (with Overviews) fail to draw at larger scales?

Jump to solution
06-23-2016 04:49 PM
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS 10.4, and have created a mosaic of about 190 TIFF images.  The settings I used are simply building a mosaic, pyramids set to -1, Update Overviews selected, Calculate Statistics turned on, and no compression.

The image extents will fit on one screen at about 1:80,000 scale.  The final output looks great, and the resolution is sharp.  However, when I zoom the scale in past 1:5,000, the image then fails to draw, and I get a screen filled with that dreaded checker board pattern.  When I zoom back out the image returns once I pass that 1:5,000 scale threshold.

I have not seen any question like this anywhere online, so I thought I would once again turn to the brains here to see what they think.  Would anyone out there know what is causing this, and how it can be rectified, or prevented in the future?  I do not have scale range turned on, and all of the symbology is simply using the default settings.  In fact, I have experimented with various stretch settings under the Symbology tab and none have any affect.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This is actually a fairly common question...in fact I just ended up putting this info on a different thread (meant to do it here)

Does your mosaic dataset look like a checkerboard? | ArcGIS Blog

Is another blog to check out.  There are also many other threads discussing possible reasons, but most come down to rebuilding the overlays.

Just search on checkerboard and you will probably find others.  Hope those help.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This is actually a fairly common question...in fact I just ended up putting this info on a different thread (meant to do it here)

Does your mosaic dataset look like a checkerboard? | ArcGIS Blog

Is another blog to check out.  There are also many other threads discussing possible reasons, but most come down to rebuilding the overlays.

Just search on checkerboard and you will probably find others.  Hope those help.

MarkHotz

Rebecca:

Thanks a million for this...this is exactly the direction in which I needed to be steered.   I searched for this problem online but just could not find anything, and you not only found examples, but exact examples.  This definitely explains my issue.

I knew what the checkerboard problem entailed, I just could not figure out how one could get the checkerboard with Overviews only at specific scales.  That baffled me, and as a result I was was looking for solutions in all of the wrong places.  The discussions to which you linked me definitely have the solution though, so now I have something I can work toward resolving today :-).

Thanks again

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad those links helped.  Sometimes you have to be creative with searches and try several different options.  Just fyi, I usually search from the browser search bar, and sometimes include "geonet" in the name, if I want to limit it somewhat to forum posts.  I found that if you are trying to find help, including "latest" in the search will improve your odds at getting 10.3/10.4 help. 

Don't forget to mark the other answer as correct so this thread can be closed.

MarkHotz

Rebecca:

I didn't seem to have the option of marking your answer "correct"...I was only able to mark my own response to your answer.  I hope this still does the trick.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I went ahead and switched it.  Mainly so others can quickly find the answer if needed, 

You wouldn't be able to mark it from the inbox, you would have to open in in a new tag.  Then you should have seen a button similar to this, but a "Correct".  There was a thread last week that said if you mark one incorrectly and need to change, you mark it as not-correct or unanswered, then mark the other.  Just an fyi for future.

0 Kudos