best method to find slope of power lines

06-27-2016 02:40 PM
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

I need to calculate slope in percentage of about 164 powerlines with a 2 mi radius. So i have buffered the power lines (all dissolved). That's good,  but now im asked to give a slope at each power line, what is the best method to do this. im using NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_11N, Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983, units are meters. When i slope the buffer zone the values area almost one color. Range of the 9 classes are 0-454

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

What is the question here?

In other words, what's wrong with your current result?

0 Kudos
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

Sorry, I know there are many ways, so maybe asking the BEST is a loaded question. SO if you were given 164 points all in a row how would you go about getting the slope of each of the points?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I suppose I would buffer the points by some distance (up to you), then run Zonal Statistics (or probably Zonal Statistics as Table) to get a measure of the slope (potentially the Mean, but it's up to you) in each buffer. Read those help pages and pay attention to the words of caution, particularly regarding overlapping polygons.

MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

I will research the tool, I really appreciate your time and help Darren, thank you

0 Kudos