Arc GIS Pro 1.3 labeling problem

07-12-2016 07:36 AM
RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning,

I updated to ArcGIS Pro 1.3 and am now having issues with drawing any layer that has a label.  I tested my state boundaries layer as the only layer visible (which should place about 12 labels) and after 3 minutes the labels still didn't draw.  It also utilizes a good amount of my CPU during the process, which instantly goes down as soon as I stop the layer from drawing.

The geography draws fine, but when it gets to the point of placing labels I get that spinning circle at the lower right hand side of the map window.  I went into a 20 minute meeting and the layer finally drew, but I know that Pro 1.2 could label this in a few seconds.

Any thoughts?  I'm waiting to get through to ESRI support.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just tried it... no problem, but I used simple feature classes stored locally on my machine... perhaps your situation differs and has sde in it?

0 Kudos
RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

The data source for this file is one that I've used in ArcMap and (later) ArcGIS Pro for a few years.  It originated in the ESRI Maps and Data disc (\usa\census\dtl_st.gdb).  It is stored locally on my machine.

I am zoomed into New England so there are only a few labels that it needs to place.  It does seem that my highways layer and cities layer is able to draw fine, but this one state boundary layer seems to be the problem holding up the whole map.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So there may be a problem with that one layer, you might want to right-click on the layer and export it to a new version.  Just want to rule out the old and and stale, which could indicate a hard drive problem with a sector for instance, or some other thing beyond your control.  Also try the file in a brand new project with nothing else added just to rule out a project issue.

Occasionally, you should purge and refresh your versions to be on the safe side.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Rachael,

Have you tried running the check geometry gp tool on the layer?  if there are any issues reported you can then run repair geometry.

let me know if that resolves the issue.

thanks

Wendy

RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Wendy and Dan!  I will look into both of these suggestions.  I have this same layer elsewhere in the project to draw the state background, and it draws the geography without problems.  I tried labeling the state background layer directly, and it worked fine--until I changed the placement to Boundary placement.  Once it has been changed to boundary placement, it doesn't seem to label even if I change it back to regular placement.  The problem started immediately after updating to 1.3 yesterday.

I ran the check geometry tool and it gave me a missing spatial index error.  It is an ESRI provided file, so I'm not sure why there is a problem.  It's never caused a problem when working with it, and I've been using it for a few years.

I also tried exporting the features and it says I need an ArcEditor license level to do so with this data layer.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't have arc* anything handy, but there should be a geoprocessing tool that will allow you to create indices

An overview of spatial indexes in the geodatabase—Geodatabases | ArcGIS for Desktop

Rebuild a spatial index—Geodatabases | ArcGIS for Desktop

if it is in a geodatabase , otherwise

Add Spatial Index—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Why do I never think about the geometry...

Thanks for suggesting this! It totally got me out of a bind!  

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Rachael,

I've tracked down that geodatabase and will take a look at it.

thanks

Wendy

RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

Hi Wendy,

ESRI Support has replicated the boundary labeling issue with both the detailed states and detailed counties layer included with ESRI Data and Maps.  They are logging a bug report on the behavior.

The suggested workaround is to use the non-detailed data for boundary labeling.  Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos