Estimating Size of files downloaded from portal

07-14-2016 02:04 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using the Runtime SDK there appears to only be one way to ascertain the size of a portal item for download (in this case I am downloading a TPK or GeoTIFF file for use in our application).  So essentially this forces you to cycle through the InputStream twice.  Once to get the size of the file and then a second time to download.  Obviously this is a waste of time and resources.  Anyone know of a way to access portal items and get content-length as you might do with an httpconnection?  I guess the complication is that if you go outside of the runtime sdk it is using Rest and you would have to provide credentials a second time, even though you are already doing this via the SDK.  It would be a lot nicer if you could just use the "item" to ascertain the file size.  Anybody out there have any ideas?

PortalItem item = PortalItem.fetchItem(portal, itemID);

InputStream inputStream = item.fetchData();

long fileLength;

byte[] buf = new byte[16384];

int len, size = 0;

while ((len = inputStream.read(buf)) != -1) {

size += len;

}

inputStream.close();

fileLength = size;

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

I am not entirely sure as I have not had an opportunity to test this myself, but I believe this will change in the Quartz release with PortalItem.getSize()

PortalItem| arcgis-android

Currently, the Quartz release is in Beta.  You can get started with the Quartz Beta release here:

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

This post from stack overflow might be helpful as well since rather than just calculating the length, you can write to the output byte array at the same time:

public byte[] readBytes(InputStream inputStream) throws IOException {
  // this dynamically extends to take the bytes you read
  ByteArrayOutputStream byteBuffer = new ByteArrayOutputStream();

// this is storage overwritten on each iteration with bytes
  int bufferSize = 1024;
  byte[] buffer = new byte[bufferSize];

// we need to know how may bytes were read to write them to the byteBuffer
  int len = 0;
  while ((len = inputStream.read(buffer)) != -1) {
  byteBuffer.write(buffer, 0, len);
  }

// and then we can return your byte array.
  return byteBuffer.toByteArray();
}

Android - getting from a Uri to an InputStream to a byte array? - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos