Anyone getting the error "The app domain ... was unloaded due to memory pressure and could not be found"

Jump to solution
07-19-2016 06:25 AM
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Several months ago we upgraded SQL Server to 2014 on Win2012. Geodb is at 10.2.2 still.

Since the upgrade, we see performance degrade over about a 2 week period to the point of having to restart the DB server.

The SQL logs show an increasing number of error statements as shown in the title. Example: on day 10 after a restart  I get one unloaded error and it repeats over 5 days, then I get 3 errors on day 16, then 40 on day 17 and finally 3500 on roughly the 18-21st day. At this point the server is paralyzed across the whole instance and needs to be restarted.

This ESRI tech article refers to a Microsoft memory error but gives no details.

Error: The app domain with specified version id (%d) was unloaded due to memory pressure and could n...

Before we drop $$ on Microsoft, does anyone have a similar experience?

Best I can tell it seems to deal with spatial data types, CLR and memory.

ESRI confirmed that CLR is not required for ArcGIS to work with SQL Server.

Any help is appreciated

TIA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Aaron,

Yes, based on your description I would say you are correct. As long as the SQL server version (build) matches what is listed (as the minium or "base build") you should be good. I do know that changes to that page are made when warranted for a specific RDBMS.

I always ran the following SQL Server query:

select @@version

This would give me the full build information and then compared it to this site for the "English" translation (i.e 11.0.3000.0 = SQL Server 2012 SP1)

Microsoft SQL Server Version List  or the MS page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/321185 

Hope this helps and I am glad to help clear up any confusion on this subject as I know it can be confusing.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
George_Thompson

Hi Aaron,

What is the memory limits that you have set within SQL Server?

What is the memory utilization of the machine that SQL Server is installed on?

Is ArcGIS for Server also on the same machine as SQL Server?

How much memory on the Win2012 machine? Is it a VM or physical machine?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Hi George

The machine has 16GB of RAM - 8 of that for the DB.

Total memory used sits about 60% with the SQL service being the only thing consuming CPU at roughly8-10%

The machine is virtual and only has SQL on it.

Have you had this error yourself?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I have seen the error before, usually has to do with something on the SQL Server side and not the ArcGIS side. This would fall under tuning of the RDBMS.

How much memory is the SQL Server service using? You mention that you have set the MAX limit for SQL Server to 8GB and the service is using 60% of the overall memory. That service may be out of memory and needs to be increased in the SQL Server settings.

Can you provide similar screenshots?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Here they are. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Nope, it looks good. I would imagine that it would be using more memory than that.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

George, thanks for the support.

We will continue to monitor and hopefully post results.

0 Kudos
TomDowd
New Contributor

Hi Aaron,

We are experiencing a similar issue in SQL Server 2014.  I was wondering if you found a solution.  Thanks

0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Sorry for not posting a solution.

Long story short - ESRIs KB says to call Microsoft. That costs money. We didn't do that.

The undocumented solution was to install the highest SQL 2014 service pack available.

It turned into a comedy of errors but the end result was a solution.

This MS page shows all the current SP's for the different versions SQL 2014.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2936603

We are on SQL Server 2014 SP1 CU7  Build version 12.0.4459.0

I have had only 3 UNLOADDED ... errors since the we patched to CU7 and "normal" performance has returned

Whether you are at the base install or SP1 or SP2  you want to install the highest/latest CU.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - always make a backup!!!

0 Kudos
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

ESRI does not list SP1 or SP2 yet as supported so go with the base install to stay compliant.

Here is there list

Standard/Enterprise editions

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (64-bit)

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/get-started/system-requirements/database-requirements-sqlse...