LAS dataset Location issue

07-21-2016 09:20 PM
Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

I am having a set of LAZ files downloaded from a Government website, converted them into LAS using 3D Sample tools (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fe221371b77940749ff96e90f2de3d10) and tried to load it into ArcGIS pro by creating a LAS Dataset. I used the UTM projection of the region(Rotterdam, Netherlands). When I am adding the Las Dataset into the Scene I am getting it near by Africa instead of Europe. I couldn't able to find out the problem, the problem is with projection I used the projection tools given in the 3D Sample tolls but nothing changed the result. When I didn't give any coordinate system the data is coming in North America.

Kindly help me to narrow down the issue and what other tools can be tested with the data?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Arun,

Is it possible that something has gone wrong with the conversion from LAZ to LAS?

If your data is showing up around Africa, then it likely sounds like a projection issue (I'm guessing it's around the 0, 0 coordinate in the system you're using).

Can you reproject to a different system for that part of Europe? Do you tools allow you to reproject?

Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

Hi Adrain,

Reprojecting LAS Dataset using Transformation tools is not possible. And there is no other tools that I found out for the reprojection of LAS files also.

If there is any way to reproject las files or lasd file it would make the process simple.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Normally I assign the coordinate system at the lasd level, after loading the las files into it.

I have rarely met a las file that has had coordinate information already attached to it.

So, you should really go back to that Gov agency and find out what the correct coordinate system for their data actually is.

But as Adrian says, if it is pitching up off the Nigerian coast, then maybe it is in GCS (geographic) and not a projected system. That is quite unusual.

Arun_PrasadRamanujadoss
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

As Adrian suggested is there any chances there would be a error taken place during the process of LAZ to LAS and please recommend which tool that you use for the usual conversion of laz to las?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I have used the really excellent LasTools tools from here :

https://rapidlasso.com/lastools/

ZacharyJaffe1
New Contributor

Hi Arun Prasad Ramanujadoss,

I am currently having the same issue. I know my data is in a NAD83 State Plane in the US, but when I add my .las to ArcPro, it is displaying off the coast in Africa. I create an .lasd and specify the coordinate system I want, but it is still in the wrong location. 

Any tips?

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If your data is appearing somewhere here :

Then the data is in degrees and not really in a Stateplane projection.

Check you the extents by looking at the properties of the lasd

ZacharyJaffe1
New Contributor

It is close to there (lands somewhere in Togo). I converted my data from a .pts file in Autodesk RECAP where I know it is in a state plane projection to .las file (via LasTools). Maybe the coordinate system is lost in the data transfer?

0 Kudos