Can I used an .mxd or .mpk as my map in ArcGIS Online story maps?

Jump to solution
07-24-2016 08:04 AM
PatrickWalsh1
New Contributor

I've created a point map with hyperlinks to various web cameras in my area for work. I can use this map just fine through the desktop software but I need to share this with coworkers who do not have access to ArcGIS. I figured the best way to do this would be though an AGOL Story Map. However, I cannot seem to be able to use the map that I have already created. I don't want to have to make another map and lose any of the functionality of the original.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Yes, check out the link that Xander posted. To use maps that you've created on your Desktop in a story map or other web app you'll need to publish them to the web (using the process described in Xander's link).

Once your layers are published you'll add them to a web map and then that web map can be shared in an app such as a story map or Web AppBuilder or any of the other configurable apps available on ArcGIS Online.

For more information on the steps in the process after publishing the layer check out the Make your first... Map and App links here: ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Yes, check out the link that Xander posted. To use maps that you've created on your Desktop in a story map or other web app you'll need to publish them to the web (using the process described in Xander's link).

Once your layers are published you'll add them to a web map and then that web map can be shared in an app such as a story map or Web AppBuilder or any of the other configurable apps available on ArcGIS Online.

For more information on the steps in the process after publishing the layer check out the Make your first... Map and App links here: ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos