-2147219196: The geometry has no Z values processing feature OID:

Jump to solution
07-26-2016 11:50 AM
DanSereno1
New Contributor II

Using ArcGIS 10.3.1 and attempting to run the Split Selected Lines tool, from the Curves and Lines add-in, I am receiving the following error message:

The table data for the record in question is:

OBJECTID *Shape *LEFT_FIDRIGHT_FIDShape_Length
169Polyline Z-17229.790374

The feature class in question is a lines FC developed from the Polygon to Line tool ran against a FC that is a select set of existing Tax Parcels from our parcel fabric.

Check Geometry produces no results on the the lines FC or the original polygon FC.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any ideas/things to check?

Thank you!

Dan Sereno

County of Maui, Real Proptery Assessments

daniel.sereno@co.maui.hi.us

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanSereno1
New Contributor II

From ESRI support:

Thank you so much for your patience while I worked on this case. It took a lot of testing but I was able to determine the issue with [the lines] that did not work with the Split Selected Lines tool. It turns out that for those 4 problem lines, both segments are true curves. It not apparent at first because the second segment is so short and flat, but if you edit the lines and extend that segment, you'll find it is a curve. For some reason, the Split Selected Lines tool does not like multi-segmented lines composed of 2 true curves and so it generates that incredibly unhelpful error. I have logged a bug for this issue, stressing both the underlying behavior and the bad error:

BUG-000098306 [Split Selected Lines tool fails with error "The Geometry has no Z values processing feature OID:" when the multi-segmented line is made up of only 2 curves.]

You can check on the status of this bug at any time by logging in to your My Esri account and checking in the Support section (My Organization> Support). A workaround for your situation would be to replace the second, short curve segment with a straight line segment. You can do this with the following procedure in an edit session:

1. Delete the end vertex of the problem segment, so the line becomes just one true curve

2. Create a new straight line at the end of the curve in the same shape as the old curve (they will be 2 separate lines)

3. If desired, use the Merge command from the Editor drop-down on the Editor toolbar to make them one segment

Though given that the goal is to break up multi-segmented lines, you may want to leave the curve and the straight line as two separate lines. In any case, I hope that answers your question. As this behavior is a bug, there is no further troubleshooting I can offer. So I am marking this case closed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a very unique error message number, it isn't even listed.

have you attempted to calculate geometry for the feature class to see if indeed does have z values ?

Add Geometry Attributes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

DanSereno1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply and suggestion!

I ran your suggesting and show <Null> for START_Z, MID_Z, END_Z, CENTROID_Z, and INSIDE_Z for all of the records in the lines FC.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The addin is here http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b59665cb906a435da3f8c45332d7cfdf

The documentation is here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32298842/Curves%20and%20Lines%20AddIn.pdf

But I didn't see anything obvious, so you might want to contac the author to ensure that your inputs are indeed valid for the tool

DanSereno1
New Contributor II

From ESRI support:

Thank you so much for your patience while I worked on this case. It took a lot of testing but I was able to determine the issue with [the lines] that did not work with the Split Selected Lines tool. It turns out that for those 4 problem lines, both segments are true curves. It not apparent at first because the second segment is so short and flat, but if you edit the lines and extend that segment, you'll find it is a curve. For some reason, the Split Selected Lines tool does not like multi-segmented lines composed of 2 true curves and so it generates that incredibly unhelpful error. I have logged a bug for this issue, stressing both the underlying behavior and the bad error:

BUG-000098306 [Split Selected Lines tool fails with error "The Geometry has no Z values processing feature OID:" when the multi-segmented line is made up of only 2 curves.]

You can check on the status of this bug at any time by logging in to your My Esri account and checking in the Support section (My Organization> Support). A workaround for your situation would be to replace the second, short curve segment with a straight line segment. You can do this with the following procedure in an edit session:

1. Delete the end vertex of the problem segment, so the line becomes just one true curve

2. Create a new straight line at the end of the curve in the same shape as the old curve (they will be 2 separate lines)

3. If desired, use the Merge command from the Editor drop-down on the Editor toolbar to make them one segment

Though given that the goal is to break up multi-segmented lines, you may want to leave the curve and the straight line as two separate lines. In any case, I hope that answers your question. As this behavior is a bug, there is no further troubleshooting I can offer. So I am marking this case closed.

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Dan, I've reproduced the problem and have started working on a fix. In the meantime, for your workflow you can get around the problem as follows: when in the PolygonToLines gp tool, go to the Environment Settings, expand the Z Values, and for the parameter called "Option has Z Values" set the drop down to "Disabled".

Thanks for reporting the problem to Tech Support.

-Tim

0 Kudos