3D Cities Solar Analysis tutorial

07-27-2016 12:38 AM
ArthurJansen
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm following the tutorial on Solar Analysis which can be found here: Introduction to solar analysis—3D Cities | ArcGIS for Desktop

Everything is working as expected right up to the last step: Assign average solar radiation values.

I extracted the roofs and walls in the Esri CityEngine and created a Radiation Raster using the SolarRadiationBurnBuildings tool found in the 3D City Solar Tools toolbox.

At the last step when attempting to use the SolarRaditationRoofZones tool I run into this: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (Join Field (2)).

When I open up the model for the tool and go to Join Field (2), I can see that it attempts to use the field OBJECTID_1 as Output Join Field which doesn't exist. When I change it to OBJECTID and run the tool again, the error is gone. However a new error now appears: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (Sample). Again I go into edit mode to see the model and go to Sample but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. There are no errors nor is it trying to access non-existing fields.

Unfortunately I am now completely stuck with only one step to go. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Are there perhaps people who already succesfully completed the tutorial and can show me what i'm doing wrong? I am using all the data provided by the 3D Cities Template and Solar Analysis Sample Data and do exactly as told in the tutorial so I really wonder if it is at all possible to make it work with the given data.

I use ArcGIS for Desktop 10.4 and CityEngine 2016.0 on a Windows 8.1 64bit machine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you using your own data? The generic errors often are associated with file paths and data formats

0 Kudos
ArthurJansen
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. No i'm using the data provided by the tutorial, that is the 3D Cities Template and Solar Analysis Sample Data.I thought about paths too but all the other steps are working like they should.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That need not mean anything particularly if you are using different paths, and introduce a path with a space in it, for instance, or a path that is too long or contains unwanted characters etc.  I would review up to the point where it doesn't work and report back with any difference you can identify

0 Kudos
ArthurJansen
New Contributor

I'll look into it Dan, thanks!

0 Kudos