What computer do I want

Jump to solution
07-27-2016 09:31 AM
CameronCole1
New Contributor III

I just got confronted by my manager and he asked me what processing power and desk top computer did I want to run ArcDesktop advanced.

We store everything on server drives so I don't think I need much hard drive but I don't know much about computers and what makes them good.

Any recommendations of how much power I really need?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A lot will also depend on what you are planning on using the software for.  Darren linked to the minimum requirements, but more is always better.  Windows 10 has some issues but those are getting less problematic these days.  

There is also ArcPro  ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

And is you get into the server side of things  ArcGIS 10.4.x for Server system requirements—Installation Guides (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

and http://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html ArcGIS Online. 

With a Desktop license on maintenance (first year is included with purchase) you get a Pro and Online subscription for free.

Do a search for recommended machines here in geonet or a browser and you will probably have many thread on the topic.  Latest one I read was someone saying, "if it's good for gaming, its good for GIS", thinking 3D is my guess.  It can be run on machines even below the minimum...just depends on what you waiting time tolerance is, and again, what you plan to use it for.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A lot will also depend on what you are planning on using the software for.  Darren linked to the minimum requirements, but more is always better.  Windows 10 has some issues but those are getting less problematic these days.  

There is also ArcPro  ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

And is you get into the server side of things  ArcGIS 10.4.x for Server system requirements—Installation Guides (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

and http://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html ArcGIS Online. 

With a Desktop license on maintenance (first year is included with purchase) you get a Pro and Online subscription for free.

Do a search for recommended machines here in geonet or a browser and you will probably have many thread on the topic.  Latest one I read was someone saying, "if it's good for gaming, its good for GIS", thinking 3D is my guess.  It can be run on machines even below the minimum...just depends on what you waiting time tolerance is, and again, what you plan to use it for.