Unable to set standard scales to 1 in = X ft

07-27-2016 09:40 AM
JasonBiagio1
New Contributor

Greetings all,

I know this seems like a simple task, but thus far I've been unable to set the display scale format (for properly scaling layouts) to be in the form of "1 in = X ft".

2016-07-27 09_36_23-Scale Properties.png2016-07-27 09_36_41-Scale Properties.png

I have attempted to "add" 1 in = 50 ft... but the resulting display scale defaults back to in per mi. This is extremely frustrating. For reference, my coordinate system is in state plan (feet) EPSG: 2228 in ArcGIS Pro 1.3 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have standard scale selected in the dialog, what happens when you select 'scale format' ?

0 Kudos
JasonBiagio1
New Contributor

You can see the dialog for "scale format" in my original post. There are no provisions for changing to "in = ft" or something other than the defaults. When I select "1 in = 0.17 mi" and attempt to change to something nominal such as "1 in = 100 ft" , it defaults to "1 in = 0.02 mi". This is not a desired result. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

missed that in the roll... other than what they describe here

Map scales and scale properties—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

and it seems your abbreviations are correct

• The following unit abbreviations can be used: in, pt, ft, yd, mi, nm, mm, cm, m, km, dd, dm.

but this comment seems a bit strange that it can't be saved

Recently entered scales are saved as part of the scale list, but are only saved for the active session. To save these values, you must manually reenter them using the Scale Properties dialog box and add them to the current default list of scales. Click Customize to access scale properties.

But did you try the next step to use the <current> option?

If that page doesn't cover everything, I would inquire why it it trying to upscale from feet to miles, it is almost like it want to limit the number of numbers in the representation, which shouldn't happen

0 Kudos
JasonBiagio1
New Contributor

I have tried all the various ways to change the scales and I did see that online help entry before. It appears that my view scales properly but that the scale factor (I can't think of a better way to reference it) cannot be saved in the desired in = ft format. The <none> and <current> options are only available in dialogs such as layer visibility.

2016-07-27 15_51_27-.png

I fear that I am not explaining this clearly. So to sum up: viewports and layouts scale properly but do not display the scale factor in the format that is desirable.

0 Kudos
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason - you're not going crazy. We haven't added the commands for defining / managing additional custom scale formats inside ArcGIS Pro yet, so you can only choose from the default ones in the list. Unfortunately, the one you want is not in that list. At present I would say that this capability will most likely be added in the next release after Pro 1.4. Thanks for sending in the question.

Regards, Nathan.

Esri Redlands

0 Kudos
JasonBiagio1
New Contributor

Nathan,

Thank you for the response. I will eagerly await the 1.4 release.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason - to be clear, it "will most likely be added in the next release after Pro 1.4", so you will need to eagerly wait 1.5 for this particular function. Sorry.

-Nathan.

0 Kudos
CharlesGrant
New Contributor II

There is no excuse not to have this functionality in ArcGIS Pro by this point.  in = ft is a standard scale unit.  Either add it to default or make the scale format customization available like in ArcGIS Desktop.