Can I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 and ArcGIS Pro installed and running in the same computer?

Jump to solution
07-27-2016 04:38 PM
VladimirGarcia
New Contributor II

I have a lot of MXDs but at the same time I would like to start working with ArcGIS Pro without having to uninstall the ArcGIS 10.3.1. is it possible to have both running?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Installs for ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are independent. So yes you can have ArcMap 10.3.1 and ArcGIS Pro (any version) installed on the same computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes but I am not sure of the mix of your ArcMap version with the Pro version.

It would be best if you pair them, I am using 10.4.1 and 1.3.  Check with your software availabilitty in your organization o see if you can upgrade, but I did run 10.3.1 and 1.2 (I think) with no problems

ArcGIS 10.4.x for Desktop system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Installs for ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are independent. So yes you can have ArcMap 10.3.1 and ArcGIS Pro (any version) installed on the same computer.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Just don't try and run them at the same time unless you have a huge amount of memory

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to ArcGIS Pro, that statement applies whether one is talking about ArcMap or any other application.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Vladimir,

Like Xander said, they're independent. I currently have ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 (ArcMap) and ArcGIS Pro 1.3. I use them both and both work fine. Like Neil said, make sure you have the memory! Pro likes to make my machine sound like it's about to go into orbit...

I am not sure the advantage of pairing them like Dan said. I have elected to keep 10.3.1 since I have had very little problems with it. I use Pro 1.3 for it's newer abilities (which some have been implemented into 10.4 and 10.4.1 but I have not upgraded my ArcMap - maybe I will soon...).

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

On my system, with the same project etc loaded in an idle state, Pro takes about 4.5 X the memory of ArcMap

but Edge takes up a big chunk as well.

Resource_Monitor.png

0 Kudos