10.4.1 Hangs and Never Opens

Jump to solution
07-28-2016 12:58 PM
CarlosMartinez2
New Contributor III

I'm having a problem installing/running 10.4.1 when after the installation of 10.4.1, the application fails to launch.  The opening sequence starts and reaches "Loading Document" and then mysteriously vanishes.  I had this same problem when I installed 10.4 on the same machine and our IT group said it had something to do with Python 2.7.11 which was installed on my machine for a Python course (which was confirmed by our PS rep). Once that version of Python was removed, ArcMap opened with no issues.  The only version of Python on my machine currently is the version pre-packaged with 10.4.1 which is 2.7.10. Typically I'd just call PS, but since we block any screen sharing outside of our company it's a bit difficult.  Anyone experiencing anything similar? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarlosMartinez2
New Contributor III

ArcMap 10.1 hangs on Loading Document 

The answer resides in there.  It has to do with the installation of Python 2.7.11.  It's looking for a registry that doesn't exist and causes it to not complete the loading process.  Updating to 2.7.12 remedies this process immediately and doesn't even require a reboot.  #solved

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can you get someone else to login to your machine and see if arcmap works for them.  If it works for someone else, you have eliminated one potential source

0 Kudos
CarlosMartinez2
New Contributor III

Dan,

Yes, we have tried that with no success. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

One down...

Now, did you deviate from the instructions here? Introduction to installing and configuring ArcGIS for Desktop—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Did you install anything after you got 10.4 to work?

0 Kudos
CarlosMartinez2
New Contributor III

Nope.  Standard install.  I've tried doing a custom install removing Python as well as completing removing all traces of ArcGIS installs from my machine (including past work).  What really makes this challenging is the fact that it doesn't ever drop an error.  It just stops trying to run yet the only thing that actually continues to run is the ArcGIS Cache Manager. 

0 Kudos
CarlosMartinez2
New Contributor III

ArcMap 10.1 hangs on Loading Document 

The answer resides in there.  It has to do with the installation of Python 2.7.11.  It's looking for a registry that doesn't exist and causes it to not complete the loading process.  Updating to 2.7.12 remedies this process immediately and doesn't even require a reboot.  #solved

0 Kudos