Am I missing something re selectable layers?

07-29-2016 06:21 AM
MarybethRiley-Gilbert
New Contributor

Heyo--I'm pretty new to ArcGIS and am just getting the hang of how to navigate ArcMap. A map I'd like to print is a little busy, so I want to narrow the visible features down. I know that I need to select particular attributes.

Apparently I should be seeing the blue or grey icons to indicate whether the layer is selectable. There are no such icons under the TOC "List by Selection" list. I used esri's help system to figure out that I needed to add the "set selectable layers" command to my "Selection" dropdown. It is there now, but greyed out! What am I missing? I downloaded the layer of interest from ArcGIS Online. Could this be why? I saved it to my local drive to make sure it wasn't a read-write issue and still nothing. Could this be a security settings issue?  Any help is much aprpeciated. Thanks!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like you are trying to select features from Map Service (Tiled). In this case, selection can not be done. It can only be done if it has feature access (not tiled). This could be the issue.

Think Location
MarybethRiley-Gilbert
New Contributor

Thank you...I think you could be right...

0 Kudos