how can i keep a group from seeing all the current members

07-29-2016 11:57 AM
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

I created a new group that I do not want to see any members in any groups or anywhere. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In arcgis online? Invite and add members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  are you the administrator?

Is this like a group that no one knows that other people are in it or something?

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

It is a group that probably should be in another organization. This group has only a need to see one app at this time. It is a viewer only. Can I set up two Organizations?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Configure groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS might be the place you are looking for

JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Esri told me it is not possible to add a user without them seeing all other members. All users can see all other users.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that makes sense....I just thought there might be some strange option that could be set, you never know with agol

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jim,

Are you trying to add users to the organization or to a specific group?

If you are trying to add users to an organization, they will be able to view other members through the My Organization tab. If you are looking to keep the privacy of who is in a group within the organization, you can create a private group where users who have not been invited to the group cannot find the group. Users who belong to the group will be able to see other users in the group.

Is there a concern about users within the group knowing who the other members are?

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Kelly, I tried creating a private group, then assigning a member to that group. I logged in as another user in a public group with only user privilege and still saw the private user. I think I understand the idea of what you are proposing but I cannot make it work. I guess I will end up letting the private users seeing all the public and other private users.

thanks, Jim

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jim,

Users in the group will be able to see the other members of the group. By having a private group, users not belonging to the group shouldn't be able to find the group at all. Is this the behaviour that you are seeing?

-Kelly

JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

I will have to test this out more thoroughly. I created two private groups with a user in each group. what I remember when logging into one of the groups as a user, being able to see the other user in the other private group. Granted, I need to do this again to make sure this is what happened. However, my manager said it was OK for the private users to see the others, so I will put this on the back burner and try later. Thanks for the suggestions. They sound like working possibilities.

Jim

0 Kudos