ArcGIS Online Organization Account - Add new account to change user name?

08-04-2016 09:44 AM
TanyaWright1
New Contributor III

Our ArcGIS Online Organization was set up a few years ago. When it was set up the user name for the organizational account was a person's name. We would like to have an account with the user name being our organization name. Unfortunately, you can't change user names currently in ArcGIS Online. If we created a new administrator account, specify the username, and transferred the layers, maps, apps to the new account and delete out the old one will that cause any problems with administering ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't think it will cause issues, but I won't delete the old account until you have done some tests.

Because we seem to have a lot of staff turn over currently, even though I can disable the accounts, I don't always know what to do with their content and whether it will be needed by the next employee, so I actually just set up a new "named account" called (for lack of better name at the time)  fname "company_holding" lname "ContentFromRemovedUsers"    I use the AGO admin tools to move there content to a new folder (theirname) but assigned to this new user.  That way I can trach their account and have it available for others, yet not have to make rash decision on what to dowith there data.  This process is just being tested, so can't say how well it work, long term.

Anyway, I would maybe do something similar with you old/new accounts.  Once things have been moved/reassigned, disable the old for a while until you make sure everything is working ok, then get rid of the old account if needed.

I'm also trying to have a generic fname = "agency" lname = "division" where final released data can be assigned.  In the long run, it's probably better to have things tied to a "agency/company" generic user than to an individual.  my opinion.