How to get best quality 3D model including textures on sides of building using drone2map?

08-10-2016 04:27 AM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

I have great imagery from a dji inspire for a small site.  My images that are very orthogonal to the ground produce a 3D surface in drone2map, but as you might expect zooming in the sides of buildings are not textured very well compared to roof tops.  When I include drone images with a more oblique angle view to get building sides, the resulting drone2map 3D mesh is completely garbled.  Is there a specific document describing optimal flight plan and orthogonal vs oblique views in order to produce optimal maps and models, or different settings in drone2map to get my images to produce a great 3D textured surface?

4 Replies
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

John,

When using oblique data to create 3D products, Drone2Map will attempt to create a mesh from all features it can see in the image....including sky.

It is recommended to use the clip area feature before you start processing. Draw a shape around the feature (using the imagery basemap as a reference) that you are interested in creating a mesh.

This will limit the area for which the mesh is created, allowing for a more precise and detailed mesh.

Thanks,

Tony Mason

Product Manager - Drone2Map

johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

That helped a lot but there are some places in my textured mesh where its still trying to create mesh from sky. Are my images too oblique?  Would a best practice be to ensure that oblique images do not include any sky?  Also from my drone survey I have about 100 image that are very orthogonal in nature (no sky) and about 80 that are very oblique in nature (include sky).  The 2 sets are from different altitudes.  Can I process these images all together, or should I not mix like that?  Should I instead attempt to maintain a basically constant altitude for the survey? 

0 Kudos
RuwanNanayakkara
New Contributor

In my experience, having little to no sky in your oblique shots leads to much better modeling. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyMason
Esri Contributor

John,

If you have very high oblique images that include a lot of horizon / sky it is going to be difficult to build a 3D mesh successfully. As Ruwan mentioned above, little to no sky is best.

Drone2Map will allow you to process both NADIR and Obliques together, and users are reporting an increase in quality of their final products by doing this approach.

Thanks,

Tony Mason

Product Manager - Drone2Map