Collector for ArcGIS and external gps

08-11-2016 12:34 PM
RobertHarris5
New Contributor III

With version 10.4 released, we are now able to see the spatial gps accuracy in Collector on iOS. We have attempted to connect a few external gps units to the device to see if we can improve the gps quality. After connecting the external device via bluetooth and then configuring collector to see the device, all capability to use gps stops working in the app. ( the accuracy window disappears and the gps toggle button in the map is disabled) By disconnecting the external GPS unit, the gps capability comes back. Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions on how to resolve? Has anyone had any success with any Trimble units?

Collector for ArcGIS 10.4 (on iOS)

Server for ArcGIS 10.3.1

Garmin Glo

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertHarris5
New Contributor III

Follow up on this topic for anyone interested. Pairing certain low accuracy external gps devices (tested the Garmin Glo) can be done simply by connecting via bluetooth without configuring the connection in Collector. We then attempted to connect a Trimble Pro6H with NMEA and Floodlight activated. We had to purchase the AMAN enterprises NMEA-BT unit to send the gps stream to Collector. You then have to download an app called NMEA Talker and configure it. After that go through the Collector settings menu to change the provider and configure your Location Profile. This worked very well for us. We tied into a local RTK subscription service and were able to see better than submeter quality data. Two downsides, one is that Collector does not seem to like to report better than 12.3' of horizontal accuracy. We have to perform more testing to quantify this. Second was with the Pro6H unit itself. We found out that upon powering the Trimble unit down, the NMEA output is toggled off. So if an end user planned to use it for the day, they would have to connect the Trimble unit to their desktop and enable the NMEA string again. This is an inconvenience for now, but limits our end users to qualified GPS/GIS field crew members.

DHEERABHATLEELAWUTTICHOKE
Esri Contributor

Hi Robert,

I face the same problem with you when I try to use GLO with Collector 10.4 for iOS. Do you have any workaround on this ?

Thanks,

Dheerabhat

0 Kudos
RobertHarris5
New Contributor III

After working with ESRI support on this, the Garmin Glo works out of the box with Collector, no configuration within the app is required. Just connect the device via Blutooth  and open Collector. Because of the data stream the Glo puts out, any further configuration with the Glo will not work. (The Glo is NOT a high accuracy GPS device) Here is the response I received from ESRI regarding the GNSS badge within Collector:

"Here is the answer to your question; When using the Integrated Receiver on iOS devices, regardless if the accuracy is coming from an external GPS receiver, its limited to only reporting up to 5 meters. Therefore, the GNSS badge in Collector will only display accuracy up to 5m or the equivalent in feet. 

Additionally, you will not be able to utilize any of the advance high-accuracy gps capabilities with the Garmin Glo  in Collector because it will use the Integrated Receiver on iOS to connect with Collector. For example :You will not be able to use location profiles(required for collecting data in a projection that is not in Web mercator) and be able to collect any of the GPS metadata." 

Here is a link for connecting to high accuracy devices: Use high accuracy GPS—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Robert,

I've been using an iPad with Arrow 100 GNSS receiver (Apple certified) and have had no problems with the receiver passing info to Collector. We also are able to connect to our state department of transportation's RTK service after setting up the profile. Everything has worked fairly well so far.

Travis 

0 Kudos
RobertHarris5
New Contributor III

Are you using the Eos Tools Pro app to configure your GPS and send the NMEA stream to Collector? 

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Yes, Robert, that’s correct.

Travis Anderson, P.E.

Engineer

Le-Ax Water District

6000 Industrial Drive

Athens, Ohio 45701

TEL: 740-594-0123

FAX: 740-593-8294

0 Kudos
RobertHarris5
New Contributor III

Interesting. I'll certainly take a look at the Eos units when considering our next purchase. Thanks for the input.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Here's a screen shot I took today to show you what I'm getting.

Sent from my iPhone

JRAdams
New Contributor III

Anyone had any luck with Carlson external gps units? Please help!!
They are hemisphere based.

0 Kudos