Portal works in EI and Chrome, but not in Firefox?

08-15-2016 10:20 PM
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

I have always been confused by this, but have never really sought an explanation.  Would anyone out there have an idea of why I can publish map services to Portal and can then visualize and interact with those map products using EI and Chrome, but when I use Firefox only my basemap loads, and none of my layers?

At first I thought it was my machine, so I didn't think anything of it, but we are only just implementing our web based GIS and now we are getting more interest and users.  However, it turns out that it's not just my machine as I set up a co-worker to experiment with our new web application and he too was unable to load any of the layers using Firefox, but with EI and Chrome it was fine.

Is there a known problem with Firefox?  I would find this odd because with ArcGIS Online Firefox works best in our office...and Chrome was the browser with issues.

Thanks

8 Replies
AndrewValenski
New Contributor II

Mark,

Could you capture the network traffic (i.e. run Developer Tools) in Firefox to see what is going on there? Additionally, what type of certificate are you using on your Portal (i.e. Self-Signed, Domain, CA)? Lastly, what version of Firefox and Portal are you working with?

Thanks!

Andrew

MarkHotz

Andrew:  Thanks for the response.  I haven't run any Developer tools in Firefox (I would need a pointer on how to try that, but I can try launching them to see what happens - I'm not a developer so I have never had a reason to use those). I never thought about the certificate though.  Our IT department took care of that, so that might be a good place for me to start.  I will certainly initiate that conversation with them right now and reply again.

The version of of Portal (and ArcGIS for Server) is 4.1.  We only just implemented everything is July.  The version of Firefox I'm running is 48.0.

0 Kudos
AndrewValenski
New Contributor II

Thanks for the information. To run developer tools in Firefox, click on the three horizontal bars to the right of the Address bar. There you'll see a drop-down of options, with one option for 'Developer.' If you click on that, another list will pop-up -- when that happens, can you click the option for 'Web Console'? That should open up "Developer tools." When it is open, can you then click on the 'Network' tab and then try browsing to your Portal? If there are any errors, they will show up here (hopefully!). Thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
MarkHotz

Andrew:  I got the developer tools to function and it does provide a lot of information.  My issue, it seems, is restricted to the local server.  I have a base map (satellite image) that is being accessed through ArcGIS Online, and this seems to work well.  Anything on our local server is being blocked (I'm guessing); hence, anything on Portal and ArcGIS for Server is not being accessed by Firefox.

Our IT department did say that certificates could be an issue, but they wouldn't elaborate more than that at the moment.  I'm waiting for our IT manager to return from vacation (should be today or tomorrow) and I can talk to him more about certificates as he's the one who acquired what we're using here for Portal.

The first error message I came across before reviewing the Network status was:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://www.google.com/_/og/promos/z. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing).

So nothing from Portal, our geodatabase or Map Services are being accessed when using Firefox.  I also cannot see this being a huge problem...it almost sounds like there is one check-box or one configuration setting that was missed or has yet to be properly set.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're looking at the network traffic within the Developer Tools, focus on the requests to your Portal and Server.  Also, take a look at the Console, as sometimes that can provide browser errors instead of network traffic errors.  I'm not sure what the problem could be, (Firefox does use it's own certificate store...), but hopefully taking a look at the Console and Network tabs of the dev tools can provide some insight.

0 Kudos
MarkHotz

Jonathan:

Thanks for the input...it is appreciated.  I ran this past our IT department and they seem to think that this issue is not immediately resolvable.  They were mentioning that is has something to do with how our server generates JavaScript in ArcGIS for Server.  I can use AGOL with no issues probably because the Amazon servers are better adept at this.  My guess too (as Andrew pointed out above) that it could have a lot to do with the certificate we're using.  I will look into that more when we are ready to start sharing this service.

This is also a somewhat of an uphill battle because our IT department does not support Firefox, only Chrome and IE.  This is sort of limiting because everyone in our office is using a Logitech mouse/keyboard configuration that has some issues with AGOL when zooming.  Of course, there are only two of us using AGOL :-), so this isn't a major issue yet, but we're also now just configuring ArcGIS for Server which is probably what more in our office will be using.  Chrome also had issues when we wanted to use our security camera feeds to points on a map (it required us to download QuickTime, which is not supported in Chrome, nor on Windows 10 I believe).

So this might take a while to resolve...I will keep everyone posted here as best I can though.

0 Kudos
MarkHotz

I was having issues with IE as well, but it turned out that making changes to the Intranet security fixed those.  Chrome works the way it should...I just need to figure out now what's preventing Firefox from access our data through Portal.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Can you please apply this patch to hopefully address the issue, Portal for ArcGIS Home Application Upload Patch 

Hope this helps,