Add students to organizational ESRI Training account

Jump to solution
08-15-2016 09:49 AM
MaryWhelan
New Contributor

I have been granted the “Assign training permissions” permission (shades of Monty Python) for the new configuration of ESRI Training.  How do I add students and faculty from my university?  I don't see anything in My ESRI.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mary, on the My Esri site go to My Organizations > Manage Users > Invite Users. Though the email text box is small, you can type or copy/paste up to 100 email addresses into it (separate emails with commas, spaces, or semicolons). On this page, you can also set a time range for e-Learning access. Setting a time range is recommended for Training administrators at universities so you don't have to go in after the semester ends and remove all the students from the My Esri organization.

When students/faculty receive the email invitation, they just need to click the link in the email and login with their Esri account (or create one if they don't have one). Once the login is complete, they will be connected to your university's organization in My Esri and they will have full access to all e-Learning on our new Training website. 

If you have questions about the My Esri workflow, please email training@esri.com.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
BethRomero
Esri Contributor

I would suggest emailing GIStraining@esri.com, they will be able to help you get this all setup.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Poor soul, what did you possibly do to get punished with this role?

My organization has tens of thousands of potential Esri Training students, and it is clear the new workflows weren't planned out with really large organizations in mind.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

at least it beats the days of distributing cds

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So true.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In the same boat. This was poorly, if at all, thought  out and planned. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My Esri, the power of human automation.  When administrative workloads can be transferred to humans, the sky is the limit for an information system.  I suspect more great things to come.

0 Kudos
BobWaltrip
Esri Contributor

Hi Joshua, we did add the ability to invite 100 at a time.  For organizations with tens of thousands of users, we're prepared to help get your users connected behind the scenes.   On My Esri, we need to balance the needs of thousands of small organizations with the very large.   Please contact me directly (bwaltrip@esri.com) or on GeoNet and we can work out a plan to connect your users.

I'm also very open to suggestions on workflow on the site.

Bob

AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your ideas on how Esri will approach the issues stated above and proposed issue resolution, Bob. 

Unfortunately, putting usernames into the system is the easy part: we can automate that through entry-level and interns.   The bigger problem is what do we do after that - as staff change (employment status and business function) we need to roll people in and out of this system.  And then there is the bigger issue - what about all the actual core my.esri activities that we manage permissions for licenses, downloads, support, - it will be MUCH harder to see the big picture when it scrolls over hundreds of slow "next page" screens in the my.esri construct.

While an API to allow us to build infrastructure to manage this IS an approach that offloads the admin part of this from Esri, it still feels like we are using coconut butter and a shoehorn for this square peg/round hole issue.