WalidHabari
New Contributor

when i import XY data from excel, i cant see points on the shape file

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then the points layer does not have a defined coordinate system, or it has been defined incorrectly when using the Define Projection tool Define Projection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If the XY coordinates in the spreadsheet were in the range of plausible values for longitude (-180 to 180 degrees) and latitude ( -90 to 90 degrees), then it should have been given a geographic coordinate system with an appropriate datum.  The most widely use being the GCS WGS84, which is the default for coordinates derived from GPS data.  

Often, people want the coordinates to be in a projected coordinate system (eg. a UTM projection) so they use the Define Projection tool to 'define' it as such.  That doesn't 'make it so' to quote Jean Luc Picard.  It just fouls things up.  It must be 'defined' correctly, BEFORE it can be changed into a new coordinate system using the Project tool Project—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Steps in workflow are important... articulate exactly what you did to arrive at your situation should the above not provide a solution

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Make sure there is no space in the X/Y fields of the Excel Sheet. Also do not use any special character for the Attribute Name except underscore.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Presumably you did something like this... Adding x,y coordinate data as a layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If you can't see the points in the shapefile's table, then... Add XY Coordinates—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If you can't see them in the dataframe, then the coordinate system has not been defined, or it has been defined incorrectly, hence, you need to do this...  Define Projection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
WalidHabari
New Contributor

Here my issue is

Sent with MailTrack

<https://mailtrack.io/install?source=signature&lang=en&referral=whabari@gmail.com&idSignature=22>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Zoom to full extent... are the points elsewhere on the screen?  (then the coordinate system is defined wrong)

Calculate the coordinates in the table as per the above. (are there valid coordinates in the table)

report on your findings.

0 Kudos
WalidHabari
New Contributor

if i check layer with points, i can see just my points,

if i check map layer, i can see just map layer

Sent with MailTrack

<https://mailtrack.io/install?source=signature&lang=en&referral=whabari@gmail.com&idSignature=22>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then the points layer does not have a defined coordinate system, or it has been defined incorrectly when using the Define Projection tool Define Projection—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If the XY coordinates in the spreadsheet were in the range of plausible values for longitude (-180 to 180 degrees) and latitude ( -90 to 90 degrees), then it should have been given a geographic coordinate system with an appropriate datum.  The most widely use being the GCS WGS84, which is the default for coordinates derived from GPS data.  

Often, people want the coordinates to be in a projected coordinate system (eg. a UTM projection) so they use the Define Projection tool to 'define' it as such.  That doesn't 'make it so' to quote Jean Luc Picard.  It just fouls things up.  It must be 'defined' correctly, BEFORE it can be changed into a new coordinate system using the Project tool Project—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Steps in workflow are important... articulate exactly what you did to arrive at your situation should the above not provide a solution

WalidHabari
New Contributor

Thnx a lot for ur valuable help

Sent with MailTrack

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You may wish to close this thread by marking the post that provided the correct answer then to ensure that others know there was a resolution and which answers were helpful and/or correct.

0 Kudos